Sometimes in university it can feel like graduation is coming faster than you anticipated and worries about your post-university future are seemingly always on the rise. This can lead to undue stress during university.
But never fear, the QUB careers service is here!
Here are 18 typical frustrations that university students encounter and how the QUB careers service are here to help dispel your worries.
- Uncertainty about career goals and interests
Book a 1-2-1 consultation and we’ll help you narrow down your career options based on your skills and interests.
2. Difficulty in finding internships or job opportunities related to their field of study
You can search and find internships relevant to your course in MyFuture
3. Balancing academic workload and career planning activities
We offer events and programmes throughout the year, including during the Easter break so you have as much chance as possible to build your CV.
4. Lack of relevant work experience or skills
Our events and programmes are designed to help you build relevant skills and experience at Queen’s.
5. Financial constraints in pursuing career development opportunities
We offer a number of funded internship opportunities that give you the chance to earn while you learn.
6. Pressure from family or peers to pursue a certain career path
We’ll help you figure out the career that you are most suited to, not what others think you should do.
7. Feeling overwhelmed by the multitude of career options available
We’ll help you narrow down your career options to those most suited to your skills and interests.
8. Fear of making the wrong career choice
Our work shadowing and internship opportunities allow you to try and career on for size to see if it fits.
9. Limited networking opportunities with professionals in their desired field
We host a number of employer events to allow you to build your network.
10. Difficulty in creating a strong resume or cover letter
Book a 1-2-1 appointment for a CV check.
11. Lack of knowledge about industry trends and job market demands
Our Careers support is informed by the latest industry knowledge and job market trends.
12. Difficulty in obtaining informational interviews with professionals in their desired field
We can connect you with industry professionals and give you an insight into professional life in key sectors.
13. Feeling unprepared for job interviews or assessment centres
Book a 1-2-1 appointment to prep for a job interview or assessment centre.
14. Difficulty in balancing career planning with extracurricular activities or personal commitments
You are developing employability skills and personal qualities through those extracurricular activities. We offer flexibility of online or in-person consultations to help you verbalise the skills you’ve been building up.
15. Lack of motivation or direction in pursuing career goals
Early career planning is about building skills, meeting new people and having fun. Our events and programmes can help you.
16. Feeling discouraged by the job search process
We can help you focus your job search by skills and interests.
17. Difficulty in transitioning from student life to the workforce
We will help prepare you for the world of work by developing your workplace skills while at Uni through our Future Ready Skills Course. Internships can further prepare you for the transition to working life.
You can check out upcoming events here, or book 1-2-1 careers consultations here