Future Ready Bitesize Session – Negotiating and Influencing Skills took place on the 16th January 2023. This session looked at stages of a negotiation, negotiation styles, win-win solutions and influencing and persuading tactics.
This session is one of a series of short online sessions based on various aspects of the 12 Employability Skills.
Here are the top 3 takeaways from this session:
Understand the difference between influencing and negotiating
Negotiation is the act of coming to a mutual agreement, whereas influence occurs when an individual has an effect on his or her opponent during the act of negotiation.
Employ different influencing styles/channels based on scenarios
- Authority Channel – Heavily uses authoritative rules to influence work settings
- Rationality Channel – Relies on data and logic to persuade others
- Vision Channel – Persuading based on shared purposes
- Relationship Channel – The longer the relationship (in the workplace) has lasted the greater the influence you have on them
- Interest Channel – Referring to interests, needs and incentives as a mode of getting things done
- Politics Channel – Understanding how the organisation works and using this as an influencing channel
The ‘wants’ method may help you to negotiate
The process of negotiating is important to ensure it as maximally effective as possible. To do this, it may be helpful to employ a method. One such method is the ‘wants’ method