As of March 2019, customers applying for Associate Membership of the Library have been able to pay online using the Queen’s online payment facility. Previously, all applicants had to pay in-person at the McClay Library or over the phone after submitting an online application. The move to online payment resulted in a considerable change to the application process and was one that the Associate Membership team were keen to receive customer feedback on.
As a result, a customer journey map exercise was carried out in October 2019 to gain an insight into a customer’s experience of applying for Associate Membership. This provided an excellent opportunity to review not only the new online payment option, but also the application process itself. The exercise covered the entire application process, from submitting an initial application through to collecting their card in the McClay Library. Overall, the feedback received was positive and complimentary of the process. However, it was suggested that some of the information provided during the application process needed further clarification. To date, we have implemented several changes in response to this feedback. These include:
- Added additional information on the Associate Membership scheme– what it is and the application process – to the ‘Associate Membership’ webpage.
- Clarified that Associate Membership is a renewable membership that is not limited to one-year, and that library staff will notify members when their membership is due for renewal.
- Made it clearer on the application form that customers must present ID/proof of address and collect their cards from the McClay Library when completing their membership.
- Edited the welcome letter new members receive when collecting their cards.
- Included a new compliments slip with the welcome letter directing Personal Associate Members to the additional help and information available on the Associate Membership Subject Guide.
For further information on Associate Membership and how to apply, please click here.