• 3rd Blog Post

From Self Conscious to Self Assured: A blog on how I overcame career related challenges with confidence.

. This Blog will give an insight into my challenges with confidence in relation to my work placement. I will explore how I overcame these challenges, what I learned from the experience, and how I will use this moving forward. I will be using the Gibbs Reflective cycle pictured below to evaluate and reflect upon the experience. The challenges from within (Description) My placement was quite straightforward in the sense that I did not face too many work-related challenges. I worked as a content writer for Profile tree and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. The main challenge that I faced however,…

• 3rd Blog Post

Losing Focus 2

When being part of a work placement, it can be disappointing to discover that there may always be aspects of a job you dislike. In these situations, you may have to weigh up the pros and cons of your work…

• 3rd Blog Post

The Customer is always right

“Assume that the customer is right until it is plain beyond all question he is not.”[1] Work experience is crucial for developing skills and gaining experience within your preferred workplace and will aid in your success and help “prepare you…

• 3rd Blog Post

Shaping my future

Introduction Doing my placement with Lamb Films has proven challenging in different ways. With Lamb Films I have done multiple different tasks for them. These tasks include working with the costume and production design teams for the feature and short…

• 3rd Blog Post

A Turn of Events

Shortly after Christmas a job opportunity arose as a classroom assistant in a primary school near home. This was ideal as I had planned on gaining experience in the classroom for the next year to better equip myself before applying…

• 3rd Blog Post

Always Read the Room

Teacher Alex Parker states that ‘a lot of educators don’t receive a ton of training within teacher preparation programs on how to foster conversations’[1] about the LGBTQ community within the classroom. He states that, ‘in many cases teachers never learned about LGBTQ topics…

• 3rd Blog Post

How did I end up here?

As I wrote and mentioned in my first blog post, my journey applying for a work placement and actually getting and securing one was quite a rollercoaster. Two days before the deadline, I received an email at night from the…

• 3rd Blog Post

Its okay to make mistakes

How did I end up here?  In my previous blog posts, I have mentioned how worried I was about my CV, the simulated interviews I undertook and how I should go about them. Being nervous about not getting a job,…

• 3rd Blog Post

Losing Focus

When being part of a work placement, it can be disappointing to discover that there may always be aspects of a job you dislike. This is what I might have discovered working in the offices of a theatre company. My…

• Uncategorised

A Daunting Transition

Overview Challenges make a journey rewarding. I, like many, encountered tasks in my placement that I initially struggled with. The one that stands out the most to me was getting used to a new digital audio workstation (DAW) that I…

• 3rd Blog Post

An Experience Never To Forget

I wanted to use this final blog post to reflect upon a work-related opportunity that sent a curveball my direction and knocked me sideways. Analogies aside, the NI Screen Aim High Bootcamp was the most intense, heart breaking but inspiring…

• 3rd Blog Post

Overcoming Behind-the-Scenes Anxieties

When I first started my placement at Cahoots, I initially panicked, because I had never done a placement of any kind before. I’ve worked with theatre companies before, but primarily as a performer, so doing things backstage consisted of helping…

• 3rd Blog Post

The Show Must Go On

“The dream is to keep surprising yourself, never mind the audience” – Tom Hiddleston Almost 9 months ago now, I received a phone call from Bruiser Theatre (bruisertheatrecompany.com) asking if I wanted to take on a two week intensive intern…

• Uncategorised

Challenging or Traumatic?

By the time I am writing this blog post I have completed my 100 hours of work placement with my chosen placement company NIAVAC Limited. Since then, I have been working for them as a freelancer engineer within their “Hire”…

• 3rd Blog Post

I DON’T KNOW WHERE TO SIT

Along comes a great opportunity to introduce yourself to someone who has been in the business for years. You smile, hold out your hand in preparation for a strong handshake, and then the question is asked. ‘So where do you…

• Uncategorised

BIG PROBLEMS AT BIG TELLY

A tad hyperbolic but an eye-catching headline. My experience working on Big Telly’s interactive theatre experience Incognito was a great one and that requires zero hyperbole. I was able to have hands-on experience working behind the scenes and on the…

• Uncategorised

IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME

FINDING YOUR FOOTING (Description) When starting any new endeavour in life, there will be challenges and obstacles thrown your way. Some obstacles may be smaller and easier to get across, others may require improvisation and adaptation to overcome them. When beginning…

• 3rd Blog Post

Copycat Rhythms and Musical Gossip!

My placement at the Junior Academy of Music (JAM) has taught me the importance of facilitating an inclusive teaching environment as an educator. At the beginning of my experience, I assisted with the Green Group, a class of four to…

• 3rd Blog Post

Expect the Unexpected

Preparation is key for a lesson to be at its maximum potential. The role of a primary school teacher is to teach a wide range of subjects, not just one. Therefore, every teacher will have set out lesson plans and…

• 3rd Blog Post

Conquering Classroom Challenges!

Teaching is a lifelong and rewarding profession that gives you the opportunity to influence children for generations to come. Nevertheless, teachers come face to face with challenges every day and this was no exception for me on my work placement…

• 3rd Blog Post

Guitar Ensemble: Going Solo

Without a doubt, the most challenging aspect of my placement so far was being put in charge of JAM’s guitar ensemble. I will use Gibbs’ model to reflect on this demanding experience, as I have found it an effective way…

• 3rd Blog Post

An Annoying Unskippable Advert

It’s the final blog post… do do do dooo, doo do doo dooo dooooooo, if you can’t tell that, that’s me trying to make a parody of the legendary song Final Countdown by Europe. Doesn’t really translate as well across…

• Uncategorised

How important are hierarchies?

The AEL3001:  Work-based Learning module is unlike any other I have undertaken in my time at university.  My chosen subject of Broadcast Production is a practice-based course as it is, but this module gives new meaning to practical learning.  With…

• 3rd Blog Post

Movies, now more than ever!

The development, green-lighting and production processes of making a film are often filled with stops and starts and pushes and pulls. These oppositions and internal politics make the film industry and the filmmaking process fertile ground for drama, as demonstrated…

• Uncategorised

Finding the Work in Work Experience

What to do with Myself When it comes to thinking about challenges throughout my time working at the production company Triplevision, there are lots of small things that come to mind; remembering everyone’s tea and coffee orders, getting to grips…

• Uncategorised

Nightmare Night Shift

As with any placement or work, during my time at U105 I have faced a lot of difficult challenges. During this blog post I’m going to tell you about one challenge in particular- changing the power conditioners. To help structure…

• 3rd Blog Post

Teamwork Makes the Stream Work

Using Gibbs’ Model of Reflection (Jasper 79) I am going to waffle mostly in the second person (which wasn’t even intentional, at this point it’s just a reflex when doing reflective writing to avoid actually talking about myself) for over 800…

• 3rd Blog Post

Improvising like jazz

I have always admired jazz musicians; with the way they so effortlessly riff off one another to create a beautiful synergy of sounds. Feeling the flow of the music and improvising as they go is something I respect but in…

• Uncategorised

Rain, Rain go to Spain!

We were tasked with filming a GAA game however, upon arrival we found out there was no allowance made for the weather forecast for that day and we would be filming with no cover on a small scaffold platform.  I…

• 3rd Blog Post

Thrown in at the deep end

Reflective practice means that we learn by thinking about things that have happened to us and looking at them in a different way, which enables us to take some kind of action Jasper, M, 2013, 3 I’ve always approached new…

• 3rd Blog Post,  Uncategorised

I am definitely not confused. Having now completed my 100 hours of work placement with Big Telly Theatre company, I have a clearer understanding of myself, my skills, my likes and dislikes regarding the type of work I would like…

• Uncategorised

Running out of Steam

With most creative jobs, there will come a point where you get stuck. Maybe you hit a creative block, or just run out of motivation altogether. Although burnout isn’t a physical challenge, it is still mentally difficult to work around.…

• 3rd Blog Post

Patience is a Virtue

If I were to describe my experience with placement this year in three words, it would probably sound something like this: just have patience. Reflecting on the year so far, I haven’t faced an overwhelming bombardment of challenges, however the…

• Uncategorised

The Student Production Manager

From the moment that I began my work placement on the set of Silverpoint, suddenly filling in for a VFX team on the first day of shooting one of the biggest visual-effects sequences in the show, I knew that my…

• Uncategorised

That’s a Wrap! (Almost)

reflection is an important human activity in which people recapture their experience, think about it, mull it over and evaluate it. It is this working with experience that is important in learning… It is only when we bring our ideas…

• Uncategorised

A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS

So, a quick update before we begin. My original plans for placement became side-tracked as the hours I thought would be available did not arise. This in fact ties in with the theme of the blog unintentionally, having to deal…

• 3rd Blog Post

Challenge the unexpected

I did not have many expectations going into my placement. I spent many disheartening weeks trying to find one, mostly unsuccessfully, and when I finally did, it was not in a film or TV production company – which was my…

• 3rd Blog Post

Work hard, play hard?

You know the old saying “work hard, play hard”? I’m starting to feel like it should be changed to “work hard, work harder”. Don’t get me wrong, throughout my placement I have encountered a lot of new and exciting prospects…

• Uncategorised

3rd Blog post

Originally, my work placement was at the radio station Juice 1038 but a lot of problems arose whilst I was working with them. I was due to begin my placement at the beginning of the year, but it became clear…

• 3rd Blog Post

AEL 3001: Blog Post 3

Taking on a work placement can be an exciting prospect, but like any new form of work, it cannot be without its challenges. To acknowledge and reflect on such problems, as well as how you encountered and overcame them is…

• 3rd Blog Post

Lets all get Involved

Overcoming inclusion in the classroom Description In my placement at Edmund Rice College, I have been working with the same teacher since September, and from the beginning of January she has given me the opportunity to teach whatever I want…

• 3rd Blog Post

Life will always have its challenges.

Life will always have its challenges.  This is a statement most of us have been told throughout our lives, and while it may sound somewhat pessimistic, it is the undeniable truth. However, challenges, big or small, help develop our skills…

• 3rd Blog Post

The Equity Of Detachment

A teacher who establishes rapport with the taught, becomes one with them, learns more from them than he teaches them. Mahamtma Gandhi Over the past 6 months of placement, in which I am experiencing the role of being a teacher…

• 3rd Blog Post

Not Exactly What I Had Envisioned

In my last blog, I made a nod towards my work placement being not exactly what I had envisioned. Well, now I’m going to tell you why. In all honesty, my experience at Big Telly Theatre Company has been somewhat…

• Uncategorised

Communication Is Key

After I secured my placement back in August 2021 after a casual phone and in-person interview at Sub-Culture Productions in Bangor as I described in my first blog post, I was full of excitement, enthusiasm and a sense of hope…

• Uncategorised

Always Running Out of Time

Ever felt like time is your biggest enemy? That somehow there is never enough time in the day to get things done? That’s exactly how I felt when I first started my placement with the SARC Video Team. At first,…

• 3rd Blog Post

You Gotta Have Faith

Despite these being the wise words of George Michael and a bit of fun, there is no better phrase I could use to describe my time working for the SARC Video Team. Despite the stress at times, I have really…

• 3rd Blog Post

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates

I will follow Gibbs’ Cycle (fig. 1) reviewing my experience of leading literacy support sessions, as “reflection is a crucial aspect of the… learning process” (Gibbs, 98). Description In January, I increased my placement hours so I could get involved…

• 3rd Blog Post

The Teacher Toolkit

It’s been six months since I first stepped into Carhill Integrated Primary School and ever since I have grown progressively as a teaching assistant, using each experience to reflect on my skills and teaching techniques. I guess you can say…

• 3rd Blog Post

Blog 3 – A Challenge 

Being a music and audio production student at Queen’s I do not have to look very hard to see the impact covid has had on musicians and the music industry as a whole. In the uk alone more than…

• Uncategorised

3rd Blog Post

When I first joined the SARC Video Team I had little experience working in the production industry so when I started with the team in September I went in with an open mind not quite knowing what to expect. Now…

• Uncategorised

What’s So Important About Music?

“Excuse me, why aren’t you in class?”, is a question I was not expecting to have directed towards me, three months into my work placement at Larne High School. I anticipated to tackle insightful questions regarding a variety of musical…

• 3rd Blog Post

Learning From Your Mistakes.

I’m not a particularly confident person, I hate confrontation and I stress about the littlest things, bottling them up inside because I’m scared if I ask for help I will be judged for getting myself into that situation in the…

• 3rd Blog Post

Breaking into the Scene

As our work-based learning journeys and adjoining placements come to end, I’d like to use this blog post to reflect on the challenges of self-confidence and promotion within the radio and music industry. I will use Gibbs’ model of reflection…

• 3rd Blog Post

‘Shaking up’ the Classroom

Overcoming the challenge of differentiation in the classroom. According to Carol Ann Tomlinson, differentiation means “shaking up what goes on in the classroom” to give students “multiple options for… making sense of ideas and expressing what they learn” (Tomlinson, 1)…

• 3rd Blog Post

Adapting Learning

Teaching is a profession, which like all occupations, comes with difficulties. I had anticipated classroom management and disciplining to be some of the more challenging aspects I would encounter upon my time at Limavady Grammar School (LGS). However, what ultimately…

• 3rd Blog Post

If there’s a will, there’s a way

Congratulations! In my original post I mentioned how your CV is like your dating profile and in my previous blog I stated how going for an interview was like the first date. Well guess what? You’re now officially married. You…

• Uncategorised

A (Cine)Magical experience

Introduction             In this blog post I will be reflecting on my experience of working with Cinemagic before, during and after their festival. The blog will focus on three significant challenges I faced and will once again use Burton’s reflective…

• 3rd Blog Post

“I knew we shouldn’t have let him near that microphone, His actions are irreparable, His motives Selfish, And his involvement most definitely changed the course of music on this island for the worse”: How I admitted my shortcomings as an engineer and how “Big Tom and The Bin Liners” ruined country music.

Intro: As the blog posts for work based learning come to a close, my last blog will be used to reflect on a particular issue I had during placement, the lessons learned and the analysis undertaken as a result. I…

• 3rd Blog Post

How to: Be a PA

My experience working on a high budget feature film gave me a valuable insight into the inner workings of a production team and the scope of the role of the PA. The role of a production assistant is extremely varied,…

• 1st Blog Post

Little Fish in a Big Scary Pond

Picture it: A giant flight of steep stairs, chattering professional voices coming from the top of them, and me struggling to breathe deeply from nerves before I even attempt them. I was about to embark on a new experience, undenounced…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Interviews

The process of job interviews is nerve racking enough never mind being interviewed by the people you see every day, the same people who will be applying and interviewing for similar jobs in the future. So when I heard that…

• 3rd Blog Post

Pondering my Placement

Working remotely was a new experience for many people recently. For my work placement at ProfileTree Coronavirus meant that their office was shut, and I was to do my placement remotely, with my only contact with the company in weekly…

• Uncategorised

Grief and placement

I did my placement in a Belfast based media company called ProfileTree. ProfileTree is an award-winning content marketing agency, and they have had clients like National Trust and Crumlin Road Gaol in the past. I worked as part of their…

• 2nd Blog Post

Overcoming barriers to interview success

This Blog will touch on the experiences of the simulated interview and offer an in depth perspective on accessibility barriers to success. I will be using the Gibbs reflective cycle to examine and reflect on my experience, my thoughts and…

• 2nd Blog Post

Reach for the STAR

How do you feel about interviews? Nervous? Brimming with adrenaline? Are you the sort who brings in 60 notecards, or the person who swaggers in with ease? For me, treating interviews like a conversation relaxes and calms me. But how…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Interview and the Introvert

For someone who suffers from an anxiety disorder, ‘ simulated interviews’ equates to my version of ‘simulated hell’. Yet despite my initial feelings, this experience has provided me with useful, constructive feedback in preparation for real job interviews and helped…

• 2nd Blog Post

Preparing for the rest of my life!

As a final year student studying music at university, I am about to enter a new stage in my life that will inevitably involve searching for a job and therefore interviews.  Dreaded interviews.  In preparation for these anxiety inducing job interviews in…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Hell

Job interviews, everyone will have to do them at some point in their life, some are better at them than others, but all dread them. Recently as part of my Work-Based module I had a simulated job interview to help…

• 2nd Blog Post

NO PAIN – BUT A LITTLE GAIN

Well technically in terms of this assignment I had no pain as unfortunately I couldn’t take part in the stimulated interviews. However, I feel I have gained a lot from this module and the advice given within it. Therefore, I…

• 2nd Blog Post

2nd Blog Post

Interviews are all about Confidence! The Scary Stage In my 1st post I mentioned how “I like to view my CVs the same way I would view my dating profile page. How can I advertise myself to sound interesting? stand…

• 2nd Blog Post

Face to Face-Nowhere to hide

The “Good Book” the Bible, says that it is not what enters a man that makes him unclean, but rather what comes out of his mouth (Matthew 15:11, paraphrased). To know what a person is made of and the thoughts…

• 2nd Blog Post

Facing the Fear of Interviewing

Interviews can be the most important part of getting a job and because of this, it is often the most stressful. Employers being able to meet directly with potential candidates for job openings can incite fear and dread in the…

• 2nd Blog Post

A Stimulating Simulation

Interviews huh… Nobody likes them, at least I don’t think anybody sane actually likes doing them. Even when you’re at the top of your game, prepared and ready, there is ALWAYS some sort of curveball that is thrown your way…

• 2nd Blog Post

Improving my approach to interviews.

The idea of being interviewed by my course mates was far from appealing to me to begin with. However, having been through the experience I can definitely see its value as it has given me excellent experience and better prepared…

• 2nd Blog Post

Sixty versus One Hundred

Job interviews.  I’m not sure which is worse, the preparation; cramming key words and technical jargon into your brain the week leading up to it, or agonising over every word you said to the panel as soon as you walk…

• 2nd Blog Post

“So…Tell Us About Yourself!”

And just like that every thought that has ever possessed my brain magically disappears… What is it about facing multiple strangers in a professional environment that forces any ounce of common sense to depart from our minds? Surely talking about…

• 2nd Blog Post

Big Dreams in Ripped Jeans

To put it simply, bluntly, and honestly; there is nothing worse, and I mean nothing worse, than an interview. The judging eyes of professionals staring through your quivering soul, as you sit across sweating through your mums borrowed work blazer,…

• 2nd Blog Post

“Where do you see yourself in five years?”

”Many people avoid thinking about interviews until the last possible moment, as if walking through the recruiter’s door is tantamount  to entering a lion’s den.”1 It was the morning of the simulated interviews and I was extremely nervous getting ready in…

• 2nd Blog Post

Reflecting on my Simulated Interview

Using ‘The Guardian Jobs’ website, I found an advertisement looking for a Year 4 primary teacher to work at Ark Academy, a mixed all-through school located in north-west London. My interview preparation involved preparing answers to possible questions and reading…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Interviews: 16/02/2022

We know the old saying of failure to prepare, prepare to fail. You can apply for a job that you’re qualified for, suited to, and have passion for; but, without preparation, you will never get past the meeting room. This…

• 2nd Blog Post

FAIL TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL

Interviews really force you to ask yourself, ‘what have I actually done with my life?’ or more formally, ‘What experience and qualifications have I gained that sets me apart from others? or Why do I deserve to get the job?’…

• 2nd Blog Post

Show, Don’t Tell!

The daunting anticipation of Interviews has always triggered my nerves. Although it seems as if I can never release the butterflies in my stomach for this specific situation, I have discovered methods on how to control them through a simulated…

• 2nd Blog Post

Becoming the STAR of Your Own Interview

A blog on interviews, simulated and otherwise Theory and Practice When it comes to interviews, my first thought wouldn’t usually be to look for academic texts on the subject, or even to take a step back and apply something like…

• 2nd Blog Post

Starting on a Positive Note!

So, what are your plans after graduation? Have you started thinking about your plan for next year? What are you going to do with your degree? Some of the many, daunting but ever exciting questions spiralling around my head the…

• 2nd Blog Post

Shocker, Tom also sucks at interviews!

My previous blog post was about my inability to sell myself, it is therefore perhaps unsurprising that I am fairly unable to perform in an interview environment, on either side of the table. Certainly both being interviewed and interviewing are…

• 2nd Blog Post

I GOT THE JOB!

This week in class we each undertook a stimulated interview to strengthen our interview skills and our understanding of the qualities that create a great interviewee. In this blog post, I will reflect on my experiences in preparing for the…

• 2nd Blog Post

Fake it till you Make it

You may look good on paper, but what about in person? Many people apply for jobs with their shiny CV filled with qualifications and skills but when it comes to selling themselves in person, it can all go downhill. Getting…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Job Interview

One of the most intimidating experiences in a professional setting is the job interview. The job interview is stressful and hard as you are tasked to show a person in a more established state than you are why you matter…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Dreaded Simulated Interview

Job Interviews. We all love them, right? I mean what is there not to love about undergoing interrogation in front of a panel of industry professionals that ask you dreaded questions like ‘Tell us about yourself.’ Job Interviews are undoubtedly…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Pressure Cooker

Now we’re getting to the business end of the process. This 2nd blog details how I didn’t think that a ‘simple’ conversation with my classmates would be more nerve wrecking than carrying out the actual work placement. Well, I was…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Hell

The idea of an interview has always terrified me, so the thought of a simulated interview was no better. Personally, I did not have much previous experience to draw upon for this task, which is why, despite my fears going…

• 2nd Blog Post

“Tell Us About Yourself”

That dreaded question – What do you want to know? What do you want me to say? Is there a right answer? Suddenly you can’t think of one interesting fact about yourself and you end up talking about your favourite…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Interrogation

The moments leading up to my interview were filled with anxiety and the urge to run or jump out of the nearest window. To calm myself, I recalled the training I have received on the AEL3001 module… I will be…

• 2nd Blog Post

AEL 3001 Blog Post 2

Getting ready for a job interview can undoubtedly be a rather intense time in any professional’s life: whether it is the question preparation or the willingness to create a good rapport with your potential future employer, a lot is arguably…

• 2nd Blog Post

It Just Has to be Done

I am sure we all share a mutual feeling toward job interviews, a feeling of dread or even fear. Despite this, it is one of the many hurdles in life that at some point must be crossed (even though we…

• 2nd Blog Post

Surprisingly Worthwhile

Interviews have never been my favourite. If I were pressed to determine why, I think it’s probably something to do with the PTSD of sitting in the manager’s office in McDonald’s, hoping to get a handy summer job, only for…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Interview: Inside Out

‘If you stop to think about it, all you are doing is sitting in front of people who work for a firm, who wish you no harm and want to see you succeed’ [1]. Well, what about in front of…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Hot Seat

Everyone feels the same way going into an interview, butterflies in the stomach and the fear of a sudden mind blank. However, this semester my workplace learning module provided me with the opportunity to prepare for a simulated interview, applying…

• 2nd Blog Post

Shine like a STAR

I will use Boud’s model of reflection to describe my experience of the simulated interviews: exploring my behaviour, ideas, and feelings towards the interviews, followed by a reflection and re-evaluation of the experience, and finally the outcomes of this, including…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Simulated Interview

Over the years I would like to think I have become more confident when it comes to interviews, I’ll never forgot the worst interview of my life was for the local Poundland, I was not expecting them to ask my…

• 2nd Blog Post

Mock Interviews

From applying for my first retail job at sixteen to almost pursuing a career in dentistry having obtained three offers in 2017, I have had a fairly reasonable amount of experience taking part in interviews during may adult life so…

• 2nd Blog Post

So you think you’re a S.T.A.R?

So, 2nd blog post. This time, it’s interview time. The questions start running through my head on the walk up to the interview room. Have I prepared enough? What sort of questions are these lot going to ask me? Am…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Mind Blank

A job interview is when an employer ‘asks you questions about your career, personality and life and you answer honestly while trying to impress them.’[1] Seems easy, doesn’t it? Not when your mind goes completely blank second question in! I was…

• 2nd Blog Post

A ‘Real’ Interview…

In preparing for my simulated interview, I found it difficult to relate this task to my experiences applying for work in music production. I have not experienced a formal interview, instead securing gigs has been done by presenting examples of…

• 2nd Blog Post

It’s all a simulation

Out of all the assignments required to complete the Work-based Learning module, the simulated interview was the scariest. Talking publicly is hard enough without having to answer questions about myself in a compelling and eloquent manner. I will once again…

• 2nd Blog Post

Confidence is key.

The nerves started to kick in as soon as we were told we had to prepare and undergo stimulated interviews in week 3. People would tend to see me as a talkative and outgoing person. However, in some situations that…

• 2nd Blog Post

Think before you speak

To think before you speak seems like an obvious concept when approaching an interview. This blog will reflect upon my simulated interview experience for the work-based placement module. It will think about the importance of this phrase and the lessons…

• 2nd Blog Post

So You Want To Be A Teacher?

“In most cases, the best strategy for a job interview is to be fairly honest, because the worst thing that can happen is that you won’t get the job and will spend the rest of your life foraging for food…

• 2nd Blog Post

Flashcards…The Key to Success?

Job interviews: a near graduate’s biggest fear (that near graduate being me). We all have an image in our minds of what an interview looks like- don’t we? For me, it’s an early morning start (9am to be exact), handshakes,…

• 2nd Blog Post

Interviewing for a Clean Break

Introduction I’m going to be completely honest here- I do NOT interview well. I have never interviewed well, even though every job interview I’ve done from the time I was eighteen, I’ve managed to somehow do great in and land…

• 2nd Blog Post

Interviews – A Blessing or a Curse?

Interviews. An essential aspect of personal and career growth. So how come no-one likes them? Looking at the bare-boned structure of them, what actually is an interview? It is a conversation. It is a question and answering session. It is…

• 2nd Blog Post

S.T.A.R. Quality Interviews!

Picture it; your dream job, your calling, nothing more you could want. You’ve put in the work, you’ve got the grades, ability, drive. All you must do is prove it. Simple… Isn’t it? However, unfortunately for me, and perhaps many…

• 2nd Blog Post

Teaching in Hong Kong: The Simulated Interview

“Using the reflective processes – we come to understand our experiences differently and take action as a result,” (Jasper, 1) Too relaxed? Gibbs’ reflective cycle helped me reflect back on my simulated interview experience. I was placed in a group…

• 2nd Blog Post

Don’t Call Us, We’ll Call You.

Stare at the clock, check your phone, notice the glaringly obvious sweat patches forming under your blazer jacket, glare at your feet, rinse and repeat. The tried and true cycle of the waiting room is alive and well and no…

• 2nd Blog Post

Simulated Interviews

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been delving into some research on future employment opportunities alongside my peers. This has been a great educational experience overall as I feel like I have a much better understanding of where my degree…

• 2nd Blog Post

Hired Or Fired?

Employing the best candidate for a job is always the end goal for any employer, therefore, the interview process is always a great way for both the employer and the applicant to acquire more information about each other, ultimately determining…

• 2nd Blog Post

The Big Day

As a child, I have always dreamed of becoming a teacher, having my own classroom, and being a role model for young students. However, what I didn’t dream of was the interview for the job, stuck in a waiting room…

• 2nd Blog Post

Blowing Your Own Trumpet 101

“I don’t mean to brag…” Or, maybe I do. This is the troubling enigma faced by every candidate in a job interview, fearing the dreaded phrase, “you’re fired“, before they’ve even been hired. With every painful interview experienced, the one…

• 2nd Blog Post

the dreaded interview.

The worst part about applying to a job? The dreaded interview. How do I look? Did I prepare enough? God, I hope they like my answers…I hope they like me. Even though this was a fake interview with course mates,…

• 2nd Blog Post

Interview with a film student  

Introduction:             Writing this reflective work will be difficult, as reflective essays receive the best marks when significant mistakes are made and analysed however in the case of this task (well aware of the risk of coming across as immensely…

• 2nd Blog Post

How does a Drama Student approach a stimulated interview? With almost any job opportunity, there is one trial you will be met with. This trial comes in the form of a conversation between you and your potential employer – it…

• 1st Blog Post

Research Your Role!

Yet to begin my placement, I had a period to prepare myself to work as a Music and Sound Assistant for the company known as “Score Draw Music.” In short, the function of this company is to compose music for…

• 1st Blog Post

Blog post 1

Work-based learning Tamara White My placement is at the radio station Juice 1038. I have always felt like I would want to work on a radio station as I have good communication skills and energy, therefore I started looking for…

• 1st Blog Post

A JOURNEY FROM COMFORT TO FLIGHT

Crashing out of my comfort zone into a place of confidence The comfort zone is a behavioural state within which a person operates in an anxiety-neutral condition, using a limited set of behaviours to deliver a steady level of performance, usually without a sense…

• 1st Blog Post

Summer Stressin’, Havin’ a Blast

Summer, a time to relax and gather your thoughts in order to prepare yourself for the upcoming academic year. Or in my case, a chance to overload your schedule and make finding a placement much harder than it need be.…

• 1st Blog Post

This is how it starts

Have you ever wondered what the letters CV stand for? The answer is Curriculum Vitae – which is Latin for “Course of Life,” and it has become an essential role in achieving careers throughout industries worldwide. It’s a detailed document…

• 1st Blog Post

Juba the Yellow Cat and Five Little Monkeys!

American motivational writer William Arthur Ward once said that ‘A mediocre music teacher tells. A good music teacher explains. A superior music teacher demonstrates. A great music teacher inspires’. With such responsibility placed on the role of an educator, I felt…

• 1st Blog Post

Pandemic Placement

The Covid-19 virus consumed over a hundred international locations, forcing the World Health Organisation to implement a global pandemic. Day to day life was disrupted by extraordinary lockdowns, strict journey bans and social distancing. For students this looked like disruption…

• 1st Blog Post

Plunged into placement

My very first experience with my placement was not a reflection of a typical day. It was an evening meeting where I assigned the classes I would be teaching, what time each class was and was filled in on anything…

• 1st Blog Post

Everyone Must Start Somewhere…

Everyone starts somewhere.  This concept, integral to every ‘inspirational’ anecdote about rising through the ranks from the ground is often an opener, a cliché the storyteller uses as a hook.  Well, I am nothing if not self-aware, and you, dear…

• 1st Blog Post

The 11th Hour

Finding a placement for anyone in any field has lately been difficult on account of the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. I found it incredibly tough to persuade any potential placement providers to consider taking me on – my…

• 1st Blog Post

Gibbs, Unexpected Placements and Me

Who’s Gibbs? Sometimes when we use systems or structures we like to hide them, but for the purposes of this blog post I’d like to draw attention to the model of reflection I’ll be using to reflect on how I…

• 1st Blog Post

Ups and Downs in a Media Company

When I started thinking about placement options back in spring 2021, my initial thought was to do my placement in a theatre company. As a Film and Theatre Making student, I wanted to focus more on the drama side of…

• 1st Blog Post

The importance of a plan

Initially the thought of taking on two work placements at the same time didn’t sound like a daunting task. Prior to obtaining both my work placements with Cinemagic and Profile Tree, I have had a few jobs with similar companies.…

• 1st Blog Post

Facing Avoidance

The thought of beginning my work placement application journey gave me high levels of anxiety. In spite of this, I started out strong. I attended my tutor’s online lecture before the module began, wherein she explained how one should go…

• 1st Blog Post

Feast vs Famine

It is often said that to be a freelancer, one must accept the inevitability of the ‘Feast vs Famine’ dichotomy. To break down the allegory, this means that you’re either insanely busy with work or there’s just no sign of…

• 1st Blog Post

Putting Yourself Out There

Applying for a job, it’s something everyone must do at some point in their lives. There are book on it, videos on it, even courses about it, yet the process doesn’t get any less daunting. When I was applying for…

• 1st Blog Post

Roles Reversed

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element.” Haim Ginott Embarking on the career of music education is something I’ve been determined to do since my first year of music 5 years ago in South…