Feast vs Famine

Borton’s Reflective Model

It is often said that to be a freelancer, one must accept the inevitability of the ‘Feast vs Famine’ dichotomy. To break down the allegory, this means that you’re either insanely busy with work or there’s just no sign of any work to do. While both may have their advantages at certain stages, ‘Feast and famine are undoubtedly both big issues for freelancers.’[1] Reflecting on my work placement situation so far, I can confirm the accuracy of this statement. Well, at least part of it…

Using Borton’s Model [2] of reflection, I will evaluate my experiences of my work placement until now.

What?

Initially, the process of finding a placement was successful. Following the conclusion of the academic year 2020/21, I did some basic work with Sean Murray, director of Relapse Pictures in Belfast. Sean was a lecturer for cinematography and was open to giving career advice and providing his students with on-set experience. I availed of these offers and began working alongside him as a camera operator on a wide variety of shoots. This included shooting ongoing documentary projects, outsourced client work and at a more basic level, B Roll around Belfast for tourism material. I was stepping out of my comfort zone and being entrusted with responsibility that meant I was accountable for the success of Sean’s projects.

At an early stage, Sean agreed to combine this work with the placement module I would be undertaking in September. At the time, this arrangement was ideal for both parties. Sean would be acquiring a reliable intern to help at shoots and even represent him to clients; I would be gaining invaluable experience using high-end equipment and being on set, while fulfilling the quota of 100 hours for the Work-Based Learning module. I felt confident I had found a worthwhile placement that would enable me to build a foundation of work within the industry and would perhaps give me a head start for when I graduated. At the time, it was a win-win – a time of feast. Unfortunately, this was rather short-lived.

Quotation from Inglourious Basterds [3]

Once summer had ended, Sean proposed that I apply for a new Job Start scheme, whereby the government would cover the costs of an intern’s salary, provided the company was willing to give them 25 hours of work a week. This opportunity excited me, as it would bolster the legitimacy of my placement and ensure that I had a consistent income, but more importantly, a consistent flow of work. So, I called the number to apply for the job, ready to take the steps that would launch my career in the industry off the ground. The operator picked up and asked me a few questions:

Which job are you applying for?

Ok. What’s your name?

Thanks, James. Are you currently in full time employment?

The camera operator job at Relapse Pictures.

James Poston.

No, I’m not. I’m a student and will be returning to Queen’s University in September.

Then the dreaded words.

I’m sorry, but this scheme is only available to those in long-term unemployment. As you are in full-time education, you are therefore not eligible to apply. All the best.

So What?

Sean and I were both caught blindsided by this information. It was not what I wanted to hear with only two weeks until the placement confirmation deadline. Matters were compounded when I realised that, since the company had advertised the role as part of the scheme, they were obligated to take someone on as an intern. That someone just wouldn’t be me. As a result, what began as a great opportunity for my career development became a great opportunity for someone else’s career development. What had been a time of prosperous feast was soon to become a period of anxiety-inducing famine.

In her book, The Freelance Bible, Alison Grade addresses this issue that freelancers face. She notes that in times of famine, irrational thoughts begin to fill your mind:

The Freelance Bible – Alison Grade

Lack of work can be very worrying and stressful. Your brain will tell you you’ll never get work again. [4]

The Freelance Bible

In the subsequent weeks, the disappointment of a missed opportunity was the prevailing feeling I experienced. I knew that, due to no fault of his own, it would be more convenient for Sean to delegate work to his new intern, rather than to me. If I were to put myself in his shoes, I can admit that such an arrangement would be the wisest decision for the good of the business. But that didn’t make it any easier of a pill to swallow on my end.

Now What?

Over the summer, I would estimate I acquired about 15-20 hours of work, which I felt was a good head start before the new academic year began. Since the beginning of this semester, however, I have completed a mere 5 hours with Relapse Pictures. This situation has presented me with a challenge that I must overcome. Reflecting on my placement proposal from Week 1 of this term, I can now look on what I wrote with fresh eyes. In that document, I wrote that I was expecting this placement to prepare me for life as a freelancer within the film industry. I knew that this was a great learning opportunity through which I could experience first-hand the insecurity and obstacles that freelance careers can bring.

Having analysed and evaluated my current placement situation, I can say in hindsight that things have not been as I originally expected. Despite this, I now know what I must do in order to move beyond this hurdle. Alison Grade wisely remarks:

The likelihood is that the reason you are in famine is less to do with you and more to do with circumstance. So, take the pressure off yourself and allow some time to regroup and think about what comes next. [5]

The Freelance Bible
Feast or Famine: Copyright www.shutterstock.com

Going forward, I realise how crucial it will be to communicate with my employer. Explaining the situation calmly and professionally will take courage on my part, but it is a necessary step I must take to progress. Overall, despite the proverbial famine I have experienced over recent months, I have learned that patience and perseverance are crucial to thrive in such a competitive industry. I believe that, should I persist in asking for work, I will soon experience a time of feast once again.

References

[1] Grade, Alison, The Freelance Bible (London: Penguin Books, 2020), p. 19.

[2] Jasper, Melanie, Beginning Reflective Practice (Cheltenham: Nelson Thornes, 2003), p. 99.

[3] Tarantino, Quentin, Inglourious Basterds. 2009. Film. USA.

[4] Grade, Alison, The Freelance Bible, op.cit. p. 19.

[5] Ibid.