Uncategorised

That’s a Wrap! (Almost)

reflection is an important human activity in which people recapture their experience, think about it, mull it over and evaluate it. It is this working with experience that is important in learning… It is only when we bring our ideas to our consciousness that we can evaluate them and begin to make choices about what we will and will not do.

Edwards et al (1996. 33)

As the long final year of my degree winds to a close, I will use this blog to reflect on the trials and tribulations of my placement and work-based learning; What went well and not so well and how I overcame any issues. Boud states that reflection is paramount in allowing learners to “make sense of the new ideas and information they have retained.” To do this I will use Boud’s model of reflection as it allows me to focus on emotional aspects of my placement while also helping to reflect on my work in the professional world in a neat and concise manner.

Experience –

In October I started my work placement with the Belfast Film Academy as an assistant teacher and editor for the company. My role was to help provide learning activities for those interested in film while also helping to edit any ongoing projects. This started with a 10-week course teaching a class of deaf students from D’Sign Arts, the basics of filmmaking in the Strand Arts Centre.

I found out a few weeks in that not only would I be helping as an assistant by researching, taking notes and setting up equipment, but I would also be conducting my own class, teaching the cohort about the basics of video editing and animation as these are my personal areas of expertise and interest. I was wracked with nerves at the thought of having to stand and teach a class, as most of the class were older than me, I felt inexperienced and underqualified to be delivering such a lesson.

So in order to overcome my fear of failure and public speaking, I prepared the most detailed, engaging Powerpoint of my life, trying my best to cover every aspect of video editing I could think of, while also linking good articles, videos and my own work as examples for each area. By doing this I hoped I had covered any possible questions that could be asked, therefore minimising the amount of on the spot thinking I would have to do on the day.

When the day dawned to give my lesson, I realised my fear of public speaking, this being the fear of my voice cracking or stumbling on my words and making a fool of myself, would only be audible to my work placement provider and the interpreter for the deaf class, which I will admit eased my nerves (and helped my confidence when I taught a class a few months later for a group of hearing students, as I noticed I was more relaxed and well-spoken thanks to having taught in some capacity before.)

I got up on stage, faced the class and introduced myself in sign language, signing “Hello my name is Caitlin” which brought a smile to their faces for having spent the time to learn a small bit of BSL and ISL (British and Irish Sign Language.) They then deliberated on what my easier sign name would be, which to this day I have no idea what they chose, although I think it had something to do with giggling as my nerves had me in a fit of laughter at the start of the class! Once I had composed myself, I sat at my laptop and started the class…

Reflective Process –

Although it felt like I was speaking for an eternity, in the end, I was met by a sign language round of applause from the group (similar to jazz hands). The whole time I taught I felt nervous as it was my first attempt, however looking back on it now, I am really glad I spent a lot of time preparing as all my hard work paid off and this lesson has helped in my more recent teaching experience, allowing me to grow and learn more as I teach others. When the ten weeks were finished in early December, the class presented my work placement provider and me with thank you cards and chocolates, a really nice surprise and end to such a valuable experience.

Apart from teaching, I edited a few videos for the BFA including a behind the scenes video for a youth club that made a film over zoom during the pandemic, which focused on mental health and wellbeing at that time. I had to sift through 10 to 15 hours of zoom footage and condense it down to just five minutes. This is a very hard task mentally, as I had to watch and rewatch so many hours of group talking to try and find the best bits to create a fun and entertaining video while also being informative about mental health, however, it was very useful in building my time management skills as I had to work to a deadline to try to get it all done. Although it is one of my more simplistic edits in terms of techniques used and I wouldn’t consider it my best work, I do believe it was a good experience in a different type of film editing that I hadn’t done before. Looking back on all aspects of the placement I can see a real improvement in my anxiety as I did not feel as stressed or nervous the further into the work I went. This is partly due to the great people I got to work with who really made the space feel safe and comfortable to teach and also learn in.

Outcomes –

I believe the class provided me with skills I never thought I would need, as I had never entertained the thought of teaching a class. The lessons have boosted my confidence and my presentation skills as well as refined my previous editing skills. After teaching a few classes to both deaf and hearing pupils I feel a lot more comfortable in speaking to big groups and every class has been well received and encouraged by both my students and my placement provider. As Gregory and Georgina state, “Employers are keen to recruit graduates from a whole range of disciplines, and specialist knowledge or enthusiasm” going on to state that having a range of skills in the film industry “can be a tremendous asset.” I believe the skills I gained and enhanced through this placement and from the work base learning classes such as the simulated interviews and Cv prep will only better me as I work my way into the film industry and will help to gain a job in my desired sector.

My placement is not done yet, however! I was lucky enough to be offered the role of editor on a short film that the BFA and my most recent class are making commencing in April, which we wish to submit to the Belfast Film Festival in August. This will be a great opportunity for me to hopefully have a film credit that has been in a film festival, which will look great on my Cv! I am super excited to get started on this project as it feels like a reward for my work during the year on my placement.

Bibliography –

Boud, DavidEnhancing through Self-Assessment, Routledge, 1995 , p 13.

Edwards, Richards, Hanson, Ann and Raggatt, Peter, Boundaries of Adult Learning, 1 edn (London: Routledge, 1996), p 33.

Gregory, Georgina, et al. Careers in Media and Film : The Essential Guide, SAGE Publications, 2008 p 15.