2nd Blog Post

Job Interviews are like First Dates: Good impressions count, Awkwardness can occur and Outcomes are unpredictable. 

Interviews scream stress, anxiety and a considerable lack of sleep the night before. Personally, interviews are just not for me as I’ve had very little experiences with them. In fact, the only possible interview I can remember was for a job in Tesco during the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, stacking shelves…a little bit different compared to a teaching job interview! 

Gibbs Reflective Cycle References with Example

This blog aims to systematically reflect upon my experience of the stimulated interview task which we carried out in class using the Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle. [1] By critically reflecting on my learning experience, it has been beneficial as, “advanced thinking skills are highly valued by employers, so being able to communicate and evidence these attributes is essential.” [2]

Description

On Thursday 3rd February 2022, our class completed stimulated interviews in order to help us prepare for real life interviews when applying for jobs in the future. Each student had a designated 15 minute slot, followed by a 5 minute evaluation discussion after the individual interviews. Leading up to the interview session, we were required to find a suitable job that we would potentially apply for after university; of course I selected a secondary music teacher as it is my absolute life goal. This was also a fantastic opportunity for me to prepare as I had an upcoming interview for a PGCE course. 

Feelings

To say I was nervous was an understatement. In truth, looking back it was hilarious as the interview wasn’t even remotely real and better still…it was only in front of my FRIENDS. I can’t even imagine what a real life interview will be like. I was anxious to answer the notorious question, “so, tell us a bit about yourself!”. Where do you even begin? The temptation to splutter out, “hi my name is…” and talk about your favourite colour and then ultimately realise you’re speaking to humans that could potentially hire you for your absolute dream job! I was nervous for my nerves. I was terrified that outbursts of laughter were attempting to fill up the majority of the interview slot. However, everything passed by surprisingly okay!

Evaluation

In retrospect, I probably rushed my way through answering all the questions to try and fit in everything I wanted to say before I forgot it all. Nonetheless, I felt like I had answered the questions in substantial detail and achieved my goal which was to keep talking loud and clear as much as possible. However, my answers were all over the place due to nerves. Even though I had prepared everything in a structured format, it all mixed together and I continued to jump from subject to subject. 

Analysis 

On analysis of peer feedback, I was very happy to see that my peers noticed I was an organised person through my answers. I confirmed both my enjoyment of working with young people and my decision to pursue a career in secondary teaching through explaining past and present experience of being a piano teacher, alongside working with different musical theatre schools. However, even though I delivered detailed and aspirational answers to all the questions, it was obvious that I lacked in confidence. It was almost like I was afraid to answer the questions as I was worried my answers weren’t to their satisfaction, even though they were ticking all the boxes. According to Smith (2019) “self-confidence is power in education” and is exactly what employers are searching for on their hunt for brand new teachers; an enthusiastic, positive and motivating candidate will inspire many young people to achieve their dreams. [3]

Discover the secret to 'Interview Confidence' – Point Recruitment

Conclusion

On reflection I would undertake several aspects differently. If this task arose again I would definitely take it more seriously. As I was walking into the class, in my head I knew it wasn’t a real interview and therefore didn’t present myself clearly with the most smartest of outfit choices. After reading an article on, “the top 5 things to remember in an interview”, at the top of the list was ‘dress appropriately’ to look professional. [4] Well that was me fired automatically. I guess I had the attitude that I didn’t want to be seen as the ‘try hard’ in the class, but nonetheless I strive to dress better in future interviews- lesson learnt! 

Action Plan 

As I prepare to enter the interview world after university, I endeavour to communicate professionally and improve my preparation time, in order to excel in my interview to ultimately prove that I am a dependent and passionate person about teaching music. Firstly, I would certainly devote further time to using the STAR technique to structure my answers as advised by our career advisor, Emma Lennox. This is an essential technique that allows you to provide concrete examples or proof that you possess the experience and skills for the job at hand. (Doyle, 2021). [5] Not only is it important to be prepared for an interview, but according to Leach (2006) as with all successful teaching, the secret lies in thorough and careful preparation.[6]

Tips on using the STAR technique to answer job interview questions | Jobs  and Careers at Enterprise

Music assumes a prominent role in my life; and I hope the completion of my placement in the secondary school will assist my career path to lead me to motivate and inspire others to enjoy music in a fun and creative way. 

Word Count : 983

[1] Gibbs, G. (1988) Learning by Doing : A Guide to Teaching and Learning Methods. Oxford, Polytechnic: Further Educational Unit.

[2] McMillan, K and Weyers, J. (2013) How to improve your critical thinking & reflective skills. Harlow: Pearson, p.3. 

[3] Smith, K (2019) Self – confidence is power in education. Available at : https://www.english-study-online.com/blog/self-confidence-power-education (Accessed 16 February 2022). 

[4] Fleischmann, C (2021) Top five things to remember in an interview. Available at : https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/things-remember-interview/ (Accessed 16 February 2022). 

[5] Doyle, A. (2021) How to use the STAR Interview Response Method. Available at https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-is-the-star-interview-response-technique-2061629 (Accessed 14 February 2022). 

[6] Leach, S. (2006) How to be a successful secondary teacher? London: Continuum. 

Doyle, A. (2021) How to use the STAR Interview Response Method. Available at https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-is-the-star-interview-response-technique-2061629 (Accessed 14 February 2022).

Fleischmann, C (2021) Top five things to remember in an interview. Available at : https://theundercoverrecruiter.com/things-remember-interview/ (Accessed 16 February 2022).

Gibbs, G. (1988) Learning by Doing : A Guide to Teaching and Learning Methods. Oxford, Polytechnic: Further Educational Unit.

Leach, S. (2006) How to be a successful secondary teacher? London: Continuum.  

McMillan, K and Weyers, J. (2013) How to improve your critical thinking & reflective skills. Harlow: Pearson, p.3. 

Smith, K (2019) Self – confidence is power in education. Available at : https://www.english-study-online.com/blog/self-confidence-power-education (Accessed 16 February 2022).