Meet the Researchers – Tatiana Cocerva

An enduring feature of MCSA Training Networks is the range of talented researchers working on the various projects. We have invited the Early Stage Researchers in Remediate to tell us more about themselves. Tatiana Cocerva is placed here at Queen’s University Belfast:

200TatianaRemediate meeting November 2015 042

Born in the countryside in Moldova, I spent a happy childhood, discovering and exploring the wonders of nature. Being very curious and willing to find an explanation of everything surrounding me, I chose to do a Bachelor of Science at University of Bucharest in Romania. After graduation, I decided to accomplish my biggest dream in doing my master studies in France being accepted at University Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée (UPEM). After my graduation, I worked for 5 months in the laboratory of environmental chemistry at UPEM, a time when I discovered my passion for research. The results of this experience have been published in Journal of Hazardous Materials.

Currently, I’m an Early Stage Researcher at Queen’s University Belfast, one of the most famous universities in the UK and worldwide recognition for its research intensity. Belfast is a nice and quiet city with many sightseeing such the Titanic Shipyards, Ulster Museum with a lovely botanical garden on its right side, Stormont Parliament Buildings and the fans of Game of Thrones have the opportunity to visit the studio and locations where the movie was shot. Don’t worry if you get lost, the local people are very friendly and willing to help and guide you at any time.

This peaceful city contributes to my good mood and is a perfect place to undertake research keeping your mind calm and clear. So, I enjoy every day my role in the REMEDIATE Project where I have to assess the oral bioaccessibility of contaminants in urban environments and investigate how the results are affected by sampling technique and contaminant source.

In my spare time, I enjoy cooking, I love scuba diving, especially in the Red Sea and I have always at home a suitcase ready for travels. Being passionate about foreign languages, now I’m learning German which will be the 5th language spoken, but not the last one.