Dr Teri: My Research Story

Throughout the month of June, we’re hosting a multidisciplinary celebration of postgraduate research at Queen’s, aiming to promote inclusivity and collaboration in the work of our researchers. Researchers at all stages, from all places are invited to join us for this Celebration of Research Culture. We’re asking some of our postgraduate research students to tell us a bit about their research and how they hope it will make an impact on the world around them.

Postgraduate Community Assistant, Teri, recently passed her PhD Viva and became Dr. Teri. She tells us about her research project and recommends some extracurricular training for her fellow PGR students.

‘A Study of PRC Constitution’

I have recently completed my PhD in Translation Studies. My thesis title is a ‘Study of PRC Constitution.’ In this research, I reviewed the People’s Republic of Chinas’ evolving Constitutions (1949-1982) to examine how ethnic minority rights are stated and supported in its legislative system. My thesis was centrally concerned with analysing the significance of legal support in protection of minority culture and identity. 

The academic support I received

Throughout my research journey I received immense support from the Graduate School. As an international student, I found that the academic writing workshop series’ were particularly helpful. For those of you who need help with your thesis or dissertation, I strongly recommend: 

All these workshops are bookable via MyFuture.

1-2-1 Support

Did you know you can also book a one-to-one appointment with an Academic Writing Consultant? Just log in to MyFuture and navigate to:

Appointments and Calendar > Book an Appointment > Request New Appointment > Select ‘Graduate School’ from the drop-down list, and select Eimear O’Connor. Eimear will help you work through your current challenges and help you to find solutions, and can support you with areas such as:

• Academic writing
  • Structuring your writing
  • Critical reading, writing and thinking
  • Research design
  • Statistical analysis

Friday Academic Support Drop-ins

Dr O’Connor also hosts drop-in sessions on Microsoft Teams every Friday from 10am – 11am. You can drop in and out to ask her your questions and learn from the questions that other students have as well. Join the Microsoft Team here.

Last but not least, I wish you all the best for your research life!