Dissemination of our Research
On this page, we list some of the events, talks and publications that have arisen from this project. You might want to subscribe to our YouTube channel or follow us on social media to keep up-t0-date with developments.
Carney, G., Lugea, J., Fernandez-Quintanilla, C., Devine, P. (2023) “Sometimers, Alzheimer’s? I love That! That’s definitely me”: Readers’ Responses to Fictional Dementia Narratives, The Gerontologist.
Carson, J. and Lugea, J. (2022) A Little Unsteadily into Light: New dementia-inspired fiction. New Island Press.
Lugea, J. (2022) ‘Dementia mind styles in contemporary fiction’. Language and Literature. 31(2): 168-195.
- ‘Emotional responses to characters in dementia fiction: a comparison’. Paper presented by C. Fernandez-Quintanilla at the Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA) conference, University of Bertinoro, Italy, 13th July 2023.
- ‘Dementia in the Minds of Characters and Readers – an interdisciplinary study of language, character and empathy’. Paper presented by G. Carney at Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, University of Southern California, USA, 4th May 2023.
- ‘Responding to dementia fiction: insights from empirical stylistics’. Paper presented by C. Fernandez-Quintanilla at International Conference of the Spanish Society for Applied Linguistics (AESLA), Mérida, Spain, 27th April 2023.
- Paper presented by G. Carney at European Network of Aging Studies Bi-Annual Conference, Bucharest, Romania, 29th September 2022.
- Two launches of the anthology of new writing arising from the project, A Little Unsteadily into Light, held at Queen’s University Belfast and in Dublin, September 2022.
- Paper presented by G. Carney at British Society of Gerontology conference, University of Bristol, UK, July 2022.
- ‘Dementia in the minds of fictional characters‘, online talk delivered by J. Lugea to University of Chester, UK, November 2021.
- ‘Perspectives on Dementia: Insights from a study of Characters and Readers in Dementia Fiction‘, online talk delivered by G. Carney to the Language, Ideology and Power Research Group, Lancaster University, 25th November 2021.
- ‘Writing dementia’, Two creative writing workshops delivered by Jan Carson and Jane Lugea in October (Queen’s University Belfast) and November (online) 2021.
- Dementia Fiction Festival, Belfast and online, 15th-16th September 2021. Full programme available here and recorded events available on our YouTube channel.
- Dementia: Feel it through fiction. Talk given as part of Imagine! Belfast Festival of Ideas, 7th April 2021.
- Somebody I used to know, with Wendy Mitchell. Conversation as part of NI Science Festival, Belfast and online, 17th February 2021.
Media and Press:
Watch this space for a Museum of Literature Ireland (MOLI) podcast coming soon!
Jane Lugea and Jan Carson speak to Lynette Fay, Radio Ulster about the Dementia Fiction Festival, 14th September 2021.
Jane Lugea and Jan Carson speak to Sean Rocks of the RTE Arena show about the Dementia Fiction Festival, 13th September 2021.