INTERVIEW – From Anthropology to Stormont

Kate Nicholl

Belfast City Councillor, previously worked for Anna Lo MLA in Stormont

We ask her about her experience in politics and why she would encourage students to think of a career in it!

Kate Nicholl

What are your past qualifications?

I have a BSc in Anthropology and A Levels in English, History and Drama – I was never going to be an astronaut!

What made you decide to enter a career in politics?

It happened gradually. Like many humanities students I was interested in so many things and had no clue what career I would end up in. I signed up to the London Liberal Youth society at fresher’s and ended up meeting a really impressive woman who was running for Westminster in 2010 and agreed to help her out – that’s when I got the politics bug! I loved talking to people about issues and discussing how to fix them. When I moved back to Belfast I wrote to Anna Lo and asked if I could volunteer in her office. One day turned to two and soon I was there everyday and waitressing in the evenings. When a paid job opened up in the office I applied – and got it!

Was the reality of working for the NI Assembly different to what you expected?

I loved working in the Assembly- every day was different. I worked for an MLA and wrote her speeches, helped to write amendments to legislation, met with organisations who needed her help, deputised at All Party Group meetings on issues such as Human Trafficking and Ethnic Minorities and assisted constituents with issues ranging from broken street lamps to hate crime. The canteen was a bit like Mean Girls though and I found the negativity a bit hard at times – Anna dealt with her death threats better than I did! I also hated how change takes so long- or didn’t happen at all. My experience strengthened my resolve to stay involved in politics – change will only happen if people fight for it.

NI Assembly

As a Cllr, what parts of the job do you enjoy most and what parts the most challenging?

What surprised me about Council was how easy it is to work with other parties; it’s much less fractious than the Assembly. I really love doing casework, Assembly was far more policy and communications based, and there’s nothing more rewarding being able to help someone. I like being able to raise issues at Council. I find there not being unlimited funds most challenging – there are so many great organisations and projects which need funding and not being able to help them is frustrating. But I genuinely love being a Councillor!

What advice would you give to Arts, Humanities and Social Science students who are considering a career in politics?

Do it! Politics needs you!! I didn’t study politics or law so don’t let that put you off. Get experience – my student involvement with campaigning in the general election got me the job with Anna Lo. Get involved in campaigns you believe in, try out student politics or join the local branch of a party that you feel most strongly aligned to. I found having Anna as a mentor so beneficial, so if there’s someone whose political career you admire – contact them, ask them for advice. Politics (especially in Northern Ireland) requires a thick skin and patience – but it’s also fast paced and rewarding – I’ve no regrets (so far!) (NH)

This entry was posted in Careers Stories, Interviews, Sector Focus - Politics and Public Sector and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.