Talking to Interational Students: Part 2

Students at Queens’ come from a variety of different countries and backgrounds, as well as a range of gender, ages and ethnicities. There are many students that have travelled very far to attend QUB.  In Issue 7 of The Edit we spoke to Carina Hailey and Heather about their experiences of University and the path they may follow once they graduate. These girls gave us a great insight into what it is like to be an international student and, as promised, here is the rest of the article!

Media,540827,en

Why did you choose to study at Queens University Belfast?

Carina: I chose to study at Queen’s University Belfast, because Belfast itself is a very interesting city and the University offered interesting modules.

Hailey:  Queen’s was my first choice when I was applying for UCAS. Firstly it is always about the reputation and studying environment. Queen’s was such a great place for me to enjoy foreign life while I could balance my studies as well. Then it comes to the consideration of cost. Living and studying in Northern Ireland cost me and my family less when comparing to other parts of the UK. I was in Oxford for 8 months before coming to Queen’s and I would say Belfast is more suitable for me in every way. (I was as well attracted by the spectacular Lanyon Building haha).

What are the biggest differences between your University experiences in Belfast compared to your experience of university back home?

Carina: The biggest differences are, that the Queen’s University is so much more organised and you can get help everywhere. And the tutorials and seminars are mostly super small – in my home university are ways more people in every module. And the Queen’s University has a campus, so all the buildings are quite close, whereas my home university has buildings spread all over the city (which can be time-consuming and you never really bump into people from other faculties).

Hailey: I wouldn’t comment much on this since I didn’t go to university in Hong Kong. But from what I’ve seen, university in Hong Kong might seems tougher due to the level of intense studying. Also, it wouldn’t be easily to go to university in Hong Kong. I think only 1 out of 7 secondary school students could get into university back in Hong Kong. I am not saying that university in UK are easier to entre but I would say there is more opportunity here.

download

What do you like the most about living abroad?

Hailey: Studying aboard allows me to be more independent and tougher. I have to tackle most of problems by myself. But you never know where can you get if you never try. Knowing someone else culture is also one of the good thing studying aboard. I myself love travelling so I am enjoying what I have chosen.

Heather: The aspect I most like and desire about living abroad is the experiences and opportunities that I have been able to access through being in Rotterdam. For example, as a class trip we visited and toured the International Criminal Court which is set in The Hague. While we toured the Court, we were able to witness a hearing taking place which involved a case where the defendant had committed crimes against humanity.

What are the biggest differences between your University experiences in Rotterdam compared to your experience of University back home?

Heather: There are many differences between University in Rotterdam and University back home, not only socially but through the studies and finances also. It has been much easier in my opinion to make friends here than it was first starting University in N.I. I think the main reason for this is because the only bond we have in Rotterdam is the English Language and so you are able to make friends quickly based on the assumption that that is the only thing you have in common with all these different people from different cultures around the world.

the hauge

Are there any struggles you face as an international student? If so, what are they?

Carina: The struggles I face as an international student are less than expected, to be honest. I have to ask quite often, if local people can repeat what they said, because sometimes I don’t get the accent. But besides from that, I don’t have any struggles.

Hailey: I don’t think I could get to where I am today without struggles. Since I am away from home, homesick might be the biggest difficulty for me. Financial problem is also one thing I would have to manage my money well since studying aboard cost more on tuition fee.

Heather: As an International student there are a few struggles, which include language and currency. In the Netherlands, the level of English that everyone speaks here is good enough to not need the Dutch language. However, if I did not luckily live with two Dutch speakers I would have a lot of trouble with emails sent from the University and mail sent from the landlord etc. Not so much a struggle but more an annoyance, is the currency difference and having to exchange money all the time. Also another struggle; NO CADBURYS CHOCOLATE OR PRAWN COCKTAIL CRISPS

Would you encourage other students at Queens to study abroad?

Carina: Yes, definitely! Especially during your studies is the best time for any experience abroad. The university provides a social network, so you are never alone and receive a lot of help, if you want to. You can find new friends easily and get to know a new country. And you can visit a new university obviously, which is also super interesting.

Hailey: Definitely. Studying aboard it’s a great experience to challenge yourself and get to know your limit. It is also a wonderful chance to get to know other culture, which you might cannot experience back home.

Heather: Yes. I cannot encourage someone enough if they are thinking about it. I would not be here if my lecturer did not tell me he regretted having the year abroad experience. I decided last minute and applied as a “you only live once” dictum. I’ve only been here three months so far and it’s been the best experience of my life.

how-to-prevent-bed-bugs-when-travelling-v2

Thank you so much to Hailey, Carina and Heather for sharing their experiences with The Edit. Hopefully this will inspire other students who are thinking of studying abroad or who are currently at Queens’ on a year out.

LS

This entry was posted in Careers Stories, Interviews, Student Story. Bookmark the permalink.