My life as a ⭐YouTube Influencer⭐

Using the Gibb’s Reflective Cycle (Gibbs) and How to improve your critical thinking & reflective skills (McMillan, Weyers) I’ll be doing some critical thinking, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Getting Started

So, my initial experiences of my placement so far. Here goes nothing…

I decided to put my interest in for a placement as a part of the SARC Media Team and was really happy when I got accepted onto the team. Last year I played a big part as part of the SARC Radio team so assumed that was where I was going to be, but to my surprise there was a whole other role dedicated just for me! I was going to be heading up the one-man Web team!

When I found out that was what I was going to be working on for the placement. I’ll not lie, I had no idea what on earth I was going to be doing. I was praying to whatever powers there may be, that I wasn’t going to be designing websites. Despite my absolute awesomeness at working with websites in my Interactive Media module last year, I think any website I were to make would be way too good… definitely.

Me when I think about designing websites

That was when I found out that my job was to create a YouTube channel specifically for the Broadcast pathway, which would involve creating the account, honing a graphic identity for the channel and eventually to be a part of a group that would curate the account. My life as a YouTube Influencer had begun.

An Emotional Rollercoaster

Feelings and Emotions throughout the placement

My feelings about the placement so far have been mixed to say the least. The nervousness with thinking I was going to be designing a website completely for the University (or at least SARC/Broadcast)

This changed to a slight disappointment that for the initial weeks, I was more tacked onto the Radio team as I didn’t have much instruction about what I was meant to be doing for the Web side of things.

After I knew what it was that I was meant to be doing, I was more positive and excited, because social media and video platforms are an area that I have knowledge in (assumedly why I was picked for the role in the first place)

Going forward I’m definitely a lot more positive about my role in the placement and now that I’ve got a set goal in mind and an expected goal from the head of Broadcast (Frank), I’ve got a task to work on and actively achieve, as apposed to sticking with the Radio team then being given a different task last minute.

The Ups and Downs (quite like the Rollercoaster actually)

My biggest criticism about my placement so far is less a criticism of the actual placement and more a criticism of my own working style and work ethic. I personally find it pretty difficult to sit down and do work in my own time, whether that’s in my room on my laptop, in the library or SARC itself. I think that I personally would suit a more “9-5” approach. By that I mean, having scheduled hours to work and sitting down in an office or office-like environment, with others around me. It’s why I do most of my best work when I’m in the library, because there’s other people around that are also doing work and just gives a different vibe and motivates me to do more work. Without supervision (at least in some capacity), I tend to procrastinate a bit more and struggle to sit down and do consistent work.

Final Thoughts

If I was placed in the same situation again, I think I would have actively looked for a more “hands-on” approach to my placement, either in an office environment or practical environment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my SARC placement but knowing myself and now knowing the way my area of this placement will work, it plays more towards my personal weaknesses rather than my strengths.

I think I’ve developed a bit more self-awareness surrounding my own working style and personality. This was knowledge that I didn’t have prior to my placement so this definitely a skill I’ve gained.

Moving on (It’s not you.. it’s me)

Me talking to my Placement work

Going forward and taking action, the only way forward is to try and adapt my own work ethic to suit the job at hand. I’ve discovered how I work and knowing more about myself is a huge bonus, but there is still a job that needs to be done and I want it to be done to the best of my ability.

To do so, I think I’ll take myself out of my home environment and try schedule dedicated times where I’m working on the YouTube channel. Whether this is in the library or the SARC computer suites, I think that will allow me to work to a higher quality given my own limitations that I need to work on.

References

Gibbs G (1988). Learning by Doing: A guide to teaching and learning methods. Further Education Unit. Oxford Polytechnic: Oxford.

McMillan, K. and Weyers, J.(2013) How to improve your critical thinking & reflective skillsLinks to an external site.. Harlow: Pearson.