Back to School (Again?)

Can you remember your first day of secondary school? Not only are you a newbie in a setting unfamiliar, but simultaneously you must embrace the position of explorer; as navigation from classroom to classroom becomes essential for survival. Moreover, almost instantaneously master art of prioritising: school dinners or skip the queue with packed lunch, are you better off spending afternoons playing football or as part of the choir? You must remain rational, resist the frustration of indecision (and the urge to pull off the new flimsy length of fabric which you've been forced to wear, despite its attempts to suffocate your poor neck.) All of this, whilst maintaining social etiquette; communicating with new pupils and teachers alike, the pressure of so-called “first impressions” you’ve been told and told about acting as a weight on your shoulders… or is that just all the new textbooks you now have to carry?
There is no two ways about it, starting school is hard. And I thought this moment had long since passed for me. But as it turns out starting placement certainly has its parallels. This blog post, through employment of Gibbs' Reflective Cycle, details my experience of embarking upon placement at Limavady Grammar School.
Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle (1970)

DESCRIPTION

What happened?
My first day of placement purposefully coincided with the Year 8 Induction Day’s (plural – thanks Covid), in June of 2021. This date was proposed as my position within the school would be assisting a selection of these to-be Year 8 pupils. Those who through testing and consequent use of data were identified as requiring additional literacy support. The basis of this day was to gently introduce the pupils into the secondary school experience, on a day of school-closure (without scary teenagers to put them on edge). However, a nerve-wracking day nonetheless. 

FEELINGS

Thinking and Feeling
I don’t know who was more nervous, the new pupils or me?! However, thoughts of excitement and anticipation dominated my thoughts to equal measure. 
Upon arriving at the school, I was introduced to staff members involved in organising this day and those who would be supervising me. My role was initially administrative and for the rest of these induction days my priorities were to get to know the pupils and staff, promoting inclusion amongst their new peers. This was of particular importance due to pandemic related restrictions; only half of the year group could attend at one time. 

Easy-peezy! Or so I thought…

EVALUATION

What was good and bad about the experience?
Welcoming the pupils all went smoothly! Likewise, chatting and engaging in conversation was seamless. Encouraging conversation amongst the pupils, again, no problem whatsoever. 

However, one question did throw me. And before you worry thinking I was unacquainted with some ground-breaking, intellectual inquiry, I can assure you this was not the case. The question was as simple as “Miss, where's the bathroom?”.  
I didn’t know. Due to not having attended this school, the location of such was unknown to me.

ANAYLSIS

What sense could be made of the situation?
This, of course, was only a minor inconvenience and one which could be easily rectified, (don’t fret, the child did make it to the bathroom). However, it did ignite fear within me. Reminding me of how little information I had. Whilst, I did not know much of the physical workings of this school, I was confident I would learn this quickly. My primary concern was my realisation of just how little I knew about the teaching profession itself. 

I didn't know how teachers engage and sustain concentration during so-called "boring topics"; nor was I aware of how teachers handle issues regarding pastoral nature. 
"What on earth does one do when faced with challenging and disruptive behaviour within the classroom?!" were my thoughts to be exact. 

CONCLUSION

What else could I have done?
So, in attempt to overcome this, I hit the books. 

I won’t deny, my initial reading only alarmed me more; “like it or not, you operate in a very precious space: other people’s lives. You are a small but important link on the enormous chains that comprise other people’s lives.” (Bennett 9). The use of imperative language and repetition within Tom Bennett’s writing reaffirmed the seriousness and commitment that the teaching profession requires. 

Whilst to a certain degree reading the work of Tom Bennett put me on edge, it also consolidated my motives for wanting to be a teacher. I was able to channel this nervous energy into motivation and consequent further research. I gained insightful knowledge from Michelle Rosen’s theory. That is to “provide a setting for shifting away from instruction concentrated on the professor to learning that is more focused on the students. Using the five constructs for change allows the teacher to:
(1) give students a share of the power in the classroom, 
(2) rethink the lecture mode as the only delivery option, 
(3) engage students in the responsibility for learning, 
(4) adapt content-driven courses, 
(5) shift the teacher from master to guide, and 
(6) provide students with multiple evaluation methods that will positively affect the quality and depth of learning.” (Rosen 5).
Furthermore, as I knew I would be working with a range of pupils with mixed abilities I thought Peter DePietro's comment, “I rework an existing course for a new grade level or different student demographic” (DePietro 39) was noteworthy. 

ACTION PLAN

If the situation arose again what would I do?
If the situation was to repeat itself I would be able to combat my nerves with the knowledge and information I have gained through study.

In fact, I knew that in only a couple of months I would find myself in a very similar situation, with the beginning of the new academic year. However, what proved different in September, was my confidence. My intentions to soak up as much information as possible proved effectual and have instigated success. This is evident from the exponential increase in tracking test results of the pupils I have been working alongside in literary support classes. 
References:
   Bennett, Tom. Teacher Mastering the Art and Craft of Teaching. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2012. Print.
   DePietro, Peter. “PARTICIPATORY PEDAGOGY.” Counterpoints, vol. 435, Peter Lang AG, 2013, pp. 37–46, http://www.jstor.org/stable/42982122. Web. Accessed 20th Nov. 2021.
   “Gibbs' Reflective Cycle.” The University of Edinburgh, 11 Nov. 1970, https://www.ed.ac.uk/reflection/reflectors-toolkit/reflecting-on-experience/gibbs-reflective-cycle. Web. Accessed 18th Nov. 2021. 
   Rosen, Michelle L., et al. "Letting Go of the Lesson Plan: Spontaneity and Flexibility in a Learner-Centered Approach to Maximize Learning in a Graduate School Setting." Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy, vol. 30 no. 2, 2020, p. 163-173. Project MUSEmuse.jhu.edu/article/787152. Web. Accessed 18th. Nov. 2021.