Uncategorised

QUBSLJ Issue Eight

I am delighted to present the Eighth Issue of the Queen’s University Belfast student Law Journal and the first issue of 2024. It has been a pleasure to reinstate the journal from its hiatus since 2021 and to be able to build upon the foundations diligently created by our alumni at the law school.

Our mission at the QUBSLJ is to provide a platform for excellent undergraduate legal writing and to increase the reach and audience of undergraduate scholarship. I am pleased to say that the submissions we received from across the law school at Queen’s were outstanding in both their variety and quality. I thank all of the law students who chose to submit their work with us.

The writing featured in this issue has been read, selected and edited carefully by fellow undergraduate students at the School of Law. I would like to thank our Reviewers Hisvary Hisvary, Natasha Dunlop and Katie Archibald and my Assistant Editor Jade Hughes for their support and effort in the creation of this issue. I would also like to thank our PhD Supervisor Anurag Debb and our Faculty Liaison Dr. Ciara Hackett for their ongoing assistance and support.

The work featured in this issue is of an exceptional quality. I thank our contributing writers Hannah Pryor, Edeline Lim, Joel Hames, Danny Neill and Alexia Lenton for entrusting us with their work. I am delighted to offer you Issue Eight of the Student Law Journal. Enjoy!

Katherine Macdonald Smith

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Featured:

‘One of the key issues in the dissolution of familial ties is that of fair and just property division.’ Evaluate critically the accuracy – or otherwise – of this statement, making reference to legal authority.

Hannah Pryor

The Rights of The Child in Family Law

Edeline Lim

The funeral of the late Queen Elizabeth II was a supreme example of what Walter Bagehot

described as the ‘dignified’ version of the UK Constitution, focused on the ancient,

complex, and ceremonial aspects that help explain how a modern system of government

evolves within the shell of an ancient constitution. Discuss.

Joel Hames

Contract Law Case Note – Fisher v Bell (1961)

Danny Neill

Union legislative acts may only be adopted on the basis of a Commission proposal, except where the Treaties provide otherwise. …” (Article 17.2 TEU).
Critically examine the balance of power between the European Commission, the Council of the EU and the European Parliament, in legislative matters.

Alexia Lenton