The Sir Robert Hart collection at Queen’s includes several thousand photographs, mostly of China around 1900, along with portraits of Hart and his friends, acquaintances and colleagues.
About the photograph collection:
- Emma Reisz and Aglaia De Angeli, ‘The Robert Hart Photographic Collection at Queen’s University Belfast’, International Institute for Asian Studies Newsletter [IIAS NL], Autumn 2017
- Aglaia De Angeli and Emma Reisz, China’s Imperial Eye: Photographs of Qing China and Tibet from the Sir Robert Hart Collection, Queen’s University Belfast (Belfast: Special Collections, Queen’s University Belfast, 2017).
- Handlist for the photographs (MS 15/6).
Photographs from the collection are on display in the China’s Imperial Eye exhibition.
Selected images are available online:
- Hart Photographic Collection (selected images only). The Project is currently working on the photographs and more will be available in the future.
- Queen’s Special Collections Flickr site (selected images).
To request images and publication rights for photographs and other items from the Queen’s collection (on the web, academic, non-academic etc.), please contact Special Collections.