Uncategorised

If Opportunity Does Not knock, Build A Door! – Blog Post 3

For my work placement with Liam McMullan in GBL Productions, I was often working alone.

Initially, I was tasked with general office work. I normally organised and categorised financial documents, as well as previous productions’ scripts, dance routines (in written form) and I also sat in on various meetings and took notes of the important questions and topics of discussion that production companies deal with.

I was in a comfortable zone with this type of work and began to really get the hang of it.

I came into the office one day to learn that I would no longer be doing this type of work. I was going to be attending rehearsals, set design meetings, executive production meetings and working behind the scenes on the running of the actual show. I was to first be involved in promotional elements.

To reflect on my feelings at this stage, I was extremely nervous. I was getting comfortable in what I knew, and I was about to be thrown into the deep end of an entirely new part of this work and I was scared I would make a mistake.

I decided to look at the situation from an outsider’s perspective and think of how many people would love to have the same opportunity I was being offered.

I decided to work on some positive affirmations to myself on a personal level in order to practice speaking with confidence. My social anxiety often hinders me when speaking up when I feel I have something important to say or taking control in a situation but this particular day, I was ready to. To reflect on this experience, I will be using Boud’s Model of Reflection.

Experience

My main challenge came in the most unlikely of circumstances. I was helping out with a promotional piece of work in Belfast City Centre, one which had GBL’s cast of ‘Aladdin! The Panto’ walking through the city in a parade. The cast of six were dressed in their costumes and waving to the children as they walked past. My first task was to walk alongside the cast and ensure no children came running into the parade, as it could be dangerous and it could also have jeopardised the magic of the production if the children saw too closely.

My second task was to hand the cast balloons with the ‘Aladdin!’ logo on the front, in order for them to hand them to the various children while also talking, smiling and walking with the fast-paced parade. My job was essentially to make sure things went as smoothly as possible.

About halfway through the parade, a child ran through various gaps in the parade to reach our Aladdin character. Of course, the actor was prepared for this but as everything was so quick moving, the child got swept up with us as we kept going and lost their mother.

I decided to take charge in that moment and say to one of the other ‘guards’ as such that I and another of my colleagues was going to bring the child back to his mother. My boss at the time was too far away to grab the attention of and I did not want to ruin the illusion or joy of the parade, so I had to act fast. I had seen what the mother looked like as the child ran to us to begin with and I am trained in child safe-guarding and protection, so I knew I was best equipped at the time to handle this situation. I decided to take charge and explained quickly to my co-worker what the situation was and where I wanted to first look for the mother.

I very gently gave the child a balloon to distract him from looking at and talking to Aladdin and gently explained we were going to find his mum. I made sure to have another person with me for safe-guarding reasons.

Reflection

My main emotion at this time was nervousness but it quickly turned to determination. I wanted to make sure this child was safe with their guardian. I knew what it was like to lose your mother in a crowded place, so I wanted to make sure the child was safe and knew I was there to help. The child was seemingly very nervous also which meant I had to put on a brave face. I decided to chat about Aladdin and all of his magical friends in the show and soon the child was smiling at what I was saying. I was quick on my feet and able to diffuse the situation with various jokes and funny voices. While I did this, my colleague kept an eye out for the woman I described as the mother so as to not arouse suspicion that anything was amiss.

After a few minutes of frantic searching, I saw a woman darting between groups of people and shouting a name. I recognised her as the mother but just to be sure, I knelt down to the child and asked their name to make sure it was the same one. It was!

Outcomes

I immediately bee-lined to the mother and told her what had happened. She was very grateful to us, and I was proud of myself for stepping up when someone needed me. After the whole endeavour, I was asked to make a statement Liam McMullan and his colleagues so that they could log the event and I was told I had communicated professionally and handled the situation as best I could have at the time.

I was able to relate the study of my subject/ art form to the work environment I was in, specifically through the use of storytelling when walking with the child. I was able to embody the characters of the pantomime I was helping with, and this made me overall more equipped for this industry. My confidence grew greatly that day as I was determined, focused and able to clearly communicate with my work peers. I also learned that I am more capable of delving into a ‘whole new world’ of work than I initially thought.