The dreaded first day

For my reflective analysis of my work placement, I am going to use the technique of Gibbs’s reflective cycle, as seen in the image below. 

This cycle uses the idea of reflecting on description, feeling, evaluation, conclusion and action, “It’s particularly useful for helping people learn from situations that they experience regularly, especially when these don’t go well.” (mindtools, 1) “Essentially, reflective practice means taking our experiences as a starting point for learning. By thinking about them in a purposeful way – using the reflective processes – we come to understand our experiences differently and take action as a result.(Jasper, 1)

Image source: Edinburgh University

“The learning we achieve using reflective strategies is different from the theory that provides the knowledge underpinning our practice.” (Jasper, 1) I will be putting this into practice by analysing my first day at two very different radio stations and how nervousness and panic can affect your performance.

“TV gives everyone an image, but radio gives birth to a million images in a million brains”

Peggy Noonan

Day one:Belfast 89

Image source: Belfast89

My first placement is at the radio station Belfast 89 which plays hits from the 60s and 70s. I couldn’t sleep the night before my placement, I got up extremely early, left early and arrive nearly an hour early! Which resulted in me waiting outside making myself look busy. I was so nervous I went to the wrong door and had to again ask people where the right place was. I went in at 9:30 knowing I was going to be helping with the mid-morning show which was hosted by Andrew.

When I went in, I was greeted by Andrew who to my surprise was blind and needed me to organise the songs on the software and make sure all the timings were right for the show. Initially, I was extremely anxious and worried as I had never seen this equipment before and had no idea what I was doing. I also felt the pressure as the show was in my hands and it was going on air in half an hour’s time. “Anxiety is a nonspecific feeling of apprehension or independent doom, which is accompanied by some sort of autonomic response.” (Heidtman,2012) this meant that I couldn’t concentrate as all I was thinking about is how I was going to mess it up.Andrew then sits me down, talks me through everything, and gives me instructions on what I need to do. I get through it and manage to not hit any wrong buttons. From this situation, I learnt that I am an anxious person but perhaps my main problem would be that I don’t have confidence in myself when it comes to knowing what I’m doing in the industry as when it comes down to doing the task I can always perform to a high standard.

“A day of worry is more exhausting than a week of work”

john lubbock

Day one: Juice1038

Image source: Juice1038

I arrived at juice where I was greeted by Ryan who showed me how their software and radio desk worked. I was then told I would be recording the 2 am-4 am show and that it would be put out on air that night. Again, a burst of nervousness and panic hit me but I tried not to let that show!

I did have a bit more confidence this time as I understood some of the terms I had learnt at Belfast 89 but what shook me this time was I had full control of the desk which I hadn’t previously experienced. As I was so nervous, I was speaking fast and stumbling over words a lot but as I began to ease into it I calmed down and got feedback that I had picked it up quickly. I recorded the first half of the show with Ryan. He then left and let me record the second half by myself which I was very happy with and ended up really enjoying.  

conclusion and action plan for the future

“Reflective practice bridges the gap between pure theory and directed practice by providing a strategy that helps to develop understanding and learning.” (Jasper, 2013)

From this, I have seen that I become anxious in new situations and regularly have low confidence in what I’m doing when it comes to the technical side of production but, “Feelings of worry or fear before challenging or life-changing events such as starting a new job, buying a house, or going to a job interview are easily justified and considered normal. Anxiety is a useful emotion when it motivates a person to protect himself or his family in times of danger.” (Heidtman,24)

Image source: Freepik

I know that it isn’t always a bad thing as it means I care about what I am doing and I can prevent it from effecting me in the future by doing techniques such as taking a deep breath, stop comparing myself to others and realise that I am capable or else I would not have been asked to do the job. I also give myself time to prepare and think about possible things that might occur so that it isn’t a shock when I am later asked to do this, so I panic less.

Image source: Behance

“worrying is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere”

erma bombeck

works cited

Behance “Deep breath”, 2018, https://www.behance.net/gallery/69075857/DEEP-BREATHAccessed 21 Nov. 2022

Belfast 89, “logo” https://www.belfast89.com Accessed 21 Nov. 2022

Edinburugh University, “Gibbs reflective cycle” 2020, https://www.ed.ac.uk/reflection/reflectors-toolkit/reflecting-on-experience/gibbs-reflective-cycle Accessed 21 Nov. 2022

Freepik “young woman worried” , https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/young-woman-worried-thinking-have-question-choice-concept-cartoon-hand-drawn-cartoon-art-illustration_20852197.htm Accessed 21 Nov. 2022

“Gibbs Reflective Cycle.” MindTools, https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/reflective-cycle.htm. Accessed 16 Nov. 2022

Heidtman, Debora, et al. “The Patient With Anxiety.” Inpatient Psychiatric Nursing Clinical Strategies & Practical Interventions (2012).

Jasper, Melanie. Beginning Reflective Practice. 2nd ed., Cengage Learning, 2013. 

Juice1038, “logo” https://juiceonair.com Accessed 21 Nov.2022