Salvation in CullyBackey

Everyone knows that feeling of getting ghosted online. whether it’s from that special someone, an angry relative or potential employers, there’s nothing worse than being left without a reply. Well, I can undoubtedly say I know this feeling all too well, albeit in the form of applying for film and media related work experience this past summer. Email after email of introducing myself, sending off my CV and praying for good news became a regular occurrence. It wasn’t until November that I secured the work based learning that I was aiming for. I have currently completed one day on set with Television presenter Graham Little and NPE Media, as I know eagerly awaiting the follow-up shoots. In this first blog post I will layout the application process I undertook to get to the position I am now in using the Gibbs Reflective Cycle; Describing my situation and my feelings surrounding it, evaluating and analysising my progress and eventually suggesting a plan of action for the remainder of my work experience and beyond. [1]

Gibbs' Reflective Cycle | Career Skills Training from EPM

As part of my work based learning module for Queens University Belfast I had to secure 100 hours of work experience in a role that related to my current career trajectory in the film industry. I had already carried out placement at the BBC, a Live Broadcast setting for TV, and so wanted to secure hands on experience in a more film orientated role. My interests lay in directing, cinematography, acting and producing but I was willing to step outside my comfort zone and try an alternative task if necessary. Throughout July and August I curated a CV tailored towards the film and broadcasting industries and sent them to a wide number of production companies and independent filmmakers within Northern Ireland in the hope of securing my placement.

Originally I was confident in my efforts, however feelings of frustration and panic began to take hold as the summer progressed; I was receiving worryingly few emails back in relation to my CV. I contacted a list of lecturers at Queens as well as some contacts I had from within the Northern Ireland film industry. Nothing was consolidated as September started so I decided to change my CV and my approach entirely.

When reviewing my CV and approach to applying I realised that tailoring your CV to the specific company or business you’re applying for, is vital. Rather than dedicating a large portion of the document to experiences outside of the realm of Film and Broadcast I needed to fine-tune my achievements and experiences in order to paint myself in the best light for the potential employer. My initial CV was good overall but in hindsight, too general. Additionally, it is important for potential employers to see that you, as an individual are keen and prepared to get involved in anything they throw at you. You may be short on direct experience and you may have no qualifications to sell, but you must have skills either of a practical nature or arising from your character and personality [3]. With this understanding, after some research, I was able to make myself more appealing to potential employers.

Resume and CV Writing Guide for Job Seekers in the Philippines

Not only did I alter my CV but I followed up my emails with a phone call. This gave the folk on the receiving end less of an opportunity to ignore but at least explain why I wasn’t right for the job. This is what ultimately secured my experience with Graham Little the following week. I explained my situation, offered my assistance in any way I could. Fast forward one week and I was standing in a field in the middle of nowhere freezing to death while trying to hold a boom pole!

On 17th November I had my first day on set with television host and presenter Graham Little and his cameraman Damien, Head of NPE Media. As the title of the blog suggests, after three months of getting nowhere, my salvation, if you will, was found in BallyGally. This was the location of our first shoot, at a Cottage in the countryside, interviewing an Ulster Scotts speaker. On the day I was assistant director and helped with camera set-up and audio recording. Although, one thing I will have to improve on is my navigation skills; I surely won’t be impressing anyone if I continue to get lost on the backroads of BallyGally 5 minutes before the start of a shoot.

After analysing my mistakes and weighing up the progress I had made I came to the understanding of the importance of a simplified, but tailored CV. This way I can inform my potential employer of my interest in the specific role they’re advertising yet also making matters easy for them by condensing down to the basics. ‘It is also expected that you will continually update those skills and adapt them to accommodate the needs of your current employer. This is particularly the case in media production where short-term contracts and freelancing are the norm’ [2] As Gregory explains in her book, Careers in Media and film : The Essential Guide, freelancing is a large part of commencing a career in the Film and Broadcast industry, especially in Northern Ireland, and so having a range of transferable skills is a desirable quality. This is something I can definitely work on during my time with Graham, receiving hands on experience in relation to camera work, editing, sound recording etc. While I am still at University I plan on gaining as much experience as possible in every aspect of the film industry.

Reflecting on my experience over there summer, I feel it was a necessary part of the process. I had no idea how to write a CV in the format for Film and Broadcasting companies. Now that I know the correct formatting and have my first day on set complete I am feeling confident in the months ahead and excited for the opportunity of learning more valuable skills that I can transfer to any film set or production company, further down the line after my studies at Queens.

[1] University of Cumbria Academic Services & Retention Team (2016) Gibbs’ reflective
cycle
. Info can be found here:https://my.cumbria.ac.uk/media/MyCumbria/Documents/ReflectiveCycleGibbs.pdf

[2] Gregory, Georgina, et al. Careers in Media and Film : The Essential Guide, SAGE Publications, 2008. ProQuest Ebook Central, http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/qub/detail.action?docID=420885.
Created from qub on 2021-11-25 23:45:52.

[3] Jones, Alan, Application. How to write a winning C.V., A simple step-by-step guide to creating the perfect C.V., Second edition, 1996, Arrow Book Limited. Pg 5