Confidence is Key

Confidence is key. This statement is something I have heard plenty of times growing up, yet it continues to be something I struggle with. When beginning the Work-Based Learning module, I felt frightened but excited about what it could lead to. I have always loved the idea of being a music teacher myself. My teachers in school were like friends to me, and constantly pushed me to reach my full potential. Their love and passion for music inspired me to continue my studies in music at Queen’s. I always thought being a secondary school music teacher would be my dream job, so when I was choosing my modules for final year, I was eager to pick Work-Based Learning. I hoped it would give me a taste of what I had planed to do in the future. I have some previous experience of teaching as I run my own private piano studio and this allows me to work alongside a wide age range of children but I was keen to experience teaching this older secondary school age group.

“Be confident enough to encourage others.”

Ron Kaufman

On my first day of work placement at Dromore High School, I felt nervous and anxious. I knew this was a job I would love to have and wanted to grasp this opportunity with both hands. After settling in on my first day, I left school with a big smile on my face. I could definitely imagine myself teaching. In Dromore High, I have been able to shadow and observe many classes with a variety of ages throughout the school years. I have particularly enjoyed helping out in the GCSE and A-Level classes. Within these classes, I have mainly assisted Mrs Turner in the composition and practical elements of the course. In the composition classes, I have been working one on one with students, listening to their compositions, hearing their further ideas and giving my own feedback on their work. This experience has been really beneficial as I have been able to assist the students giving plenty of positive feedback but also offering a few pointers to help develop each composition further.

Dromore High School: The Newsroom, Banbridge Leader 2017

Listening to the students performances for the practical element of the course has also been really interesting and enjoyable. The classes in Dromore High are quite small which allows us to give each student close attention. Many students are still deciding between a few pieces for their final performance programme. I have been listening to a few possible options and giving my opinions on which piece is likely to score higher, but also find out what style of music they enjoy playing. At the beginning of my placement, I struggled to give critical feedback to students as I didn’t want to come across as being harsh. It took me a few weeks to develop some confidence and become more comfortable within the new environment but also with the students. I have built relationships with the GCSE and A-Level students over the past few months and feel more confident and able to express my opinion to them. From researching into building confidence, I learnt that being confident in my own abilities will help me undertake more ambitious goals and persist in adversity (Benabou 2002). I attempt to present feedback in a positive manner but highlight a specific area that they could improve to enhance their overall performance.

I have also been presented with the opportunity of assisting within the orchestra and choir. Throughout school and university, I have played in a variety of orchestras / bands and sang in choirs but I had never been on other side of leading one before. This was definitely challenging, as I needed to be confident and poised to do this, but with time I felt more comfortable and now really enjoy helping out in another aspect of the teaching role. In December, the orchestra are performing at a Christmas Market event. We have been working towards this over the past few weeks, luckily I am a big Christmas fan and haven’t minded hearing jingle bells and silent night since the beginning of November! The orchestra does not have as much depth as other schools may have, but the commitment and dedication of each member is really encouraging to see. One of my instruments is the flute and there are a few junior school students who have just began taking lessons. I have been assisting them in playing within a bigger group than they would be used to. I have been given the task of arranging some flute music for our event. I have scored a more simple version of a few carols for the beginner flutists to allow them to feel a sense of achievement and be encouraged (Monteith, 1912), while the other students are capable of playing the original version. I then arranged a more challenging score for two of the A-Level students and myself to play to create depth and add colour to the overall sound.

Photograph of me playing in my school orchestra: Victor Currie 2016

Over the past few months at Dromore High School, I have really enjoyed my time in the music department. I really appreciated gaining experience by assisting a variety of age groups. Over the next while in school, I would like to observe and assist with the set work side of the GCSE and A-Level course as this isn’t something I have experienced just yet. Reflecting on the past few months, I believe my communication skills have really developed and I have been able to express my opinion more clearly to staff and pupils which is great. I have also been able to use my creative side within choir and orchestra by developing parts and hearing it all come together. Finally, I feel my confidence has grown massively over the past few months and from experiencing my time on placement it has helped me realise teaching is definitely the job for me.

Written by: Erin McNally

References:

-Benabou, R., Tirole, J., (2002) “Self-Confidence and Personal Motivation” The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 117, No. 3, Page 872. Published by: Oxford University Press. Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/4132491

-Monteith, E.R., (1912) “Colour – Music: Experiments in the Educational Value of the Analogy between Sound and Colour” Proceedings of the Musical Association, Page 87. Published by: Taylor and Francis, Ltd. on behalf of the Royal Musical Association. Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/765494