To Specialise or not to specialise, that is the question

When preparing for the daunting prospect of joining the word of work at the end of my degree, I have been faced with repeated questions; What do you want to do? Where do you want to be working? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Looking back on my approach to my placement, I can see I channelled this fear into my search for work experience. With the additional concern of being freelance, a constant changing media landscape and a fear of not knowing if there is a job suited for me, I’ve had to question whether remaining a ‘jack of all trades’ is the right method.

Having applied to 20 different placement opportunities, receiving 5 replies and a few failed placements along the way, this experience has taught me that I approach the industry with a “scatter gun” technique, otherwise known as a ‘generalist’ method. (Luenendonk, 2019) I will be reflecting on this approach, and whether it has benefitted my career ambitions by using Borton’s Reflective Model to analyse how my experiences within my placement so far have shaped my career ambitions.

As I wanted to make the most of my placement, I drew up a list of twenty possible employers that I felt would be suitable for my area of interest. This list was extensive, with companies in film, radio, animation, television, and theatre. Although varied, each filled one of two criteria.

Firstly, most of the placements were chosen for my interest in tv and radio production. This interest is based within my voluntary work in radio. After 6 years in radio, I have a firm understanding that this industry really suits my working needs and I fundamentally thrive in the environment. With the majority of those in the media and production industry in freelance positions (Gregory, 2007) this would allow me the flexibility I desire within my career. My ‘generalist’ approach means I can continue multiple projects and passions simultaneously. Within my placement I spoke to a colleague who successfully does just this. She explained how freelance grants her the ability to be on set three days a week, produce her podcast on a Thursday and travel to a different city on the Friday to present radio shows over the weekend. This is what I strive for.

Secondly, the other placements were intended to allow me to broaden my knowledge of areas that I know little about. These included an animation/SFX studio and a film festival. Through working in the SFX studio for 2 weeks, before Covid cased that placement to end, I gained an insight into how this niche of film is influenced by the wider film industry, and how technological improvements have meant that animation studios have simultaneously had a substantial impact on wider media. (Ward, 2006) However, stereotypically of an English student, I am not a tech savvy person. I realised that I needed to avoid imposter syndrome by finding a placement that doesn’t need a specialism straight away, and instead I can develop a variety of skills while working on those I already have.

When finally securing my placement at Cinemagic, I knew that I should focus on their production opportunities, and slowly develop my technological skills. I wanted to specialise in camera skills, sound and production, while also engaging with their event and festival management opportunities.

In using the ‘generalist’ approach, I had uncovered areas of film and broadcast that I was weaker on and wanted to develop. Although I am confident in my management skills as I have gained experience organising events and presenting panels, I have no experience on film sets or within the visual side of production. As Martin Luenendonk writes, by keeping options open, a generalist can ‘have a broader understanding of a subject and have a selection of transferable skills at your disposal.’ (Luenendonk, 2019) This has reassured me that I will hopefully be leaving my placement well equipped for the media and film industry.

I am now aware that the ‘scattergun’ approach has clear benefits to career planning. I have allowed myself the ability to experience areas of my chosen industry that I really enjoy, alongside areas I don’t see myself working within. On reflection, the generalist method was hugely beneficial to this stage of my career search. However, a specialisation of sorts is needed to progress in the future.  

My placement with Cinemagic allows me the freedom to continue this approach within a secure setting. I have already learnt key transferrable skills for hosting film screenings, scheduling events and marketing strategies for different age groups within educational film initiatives.

By the end of my placement, I hope to have narrowed down my area of interest and secured key ‘hard skills’ that would allow me to specialise in my field. My adviser has already offered me positions within film productions and has included me within her mentorship programme to further discuss how I should progress to a professional setting after university. This is invaluable to me as I have already attended careers consultations that, given their wider career approach, left me with little support for own career ambitions.

Daniel Gulati writes, through approaching careers by ‘staying a generalist – you’re actually limiting your potential.’ (Gulati, 2012) My placement experience so far has proven to me that this statement is perhaps not as accurate for the stage of career development that I am at currently. Although taking a ‘specialised approach’ would give me more stability within my next steps post-university, I simply wouldn’t be able to continue the lifestyle I love if I were to embrace this. The support of my placement advisers has given me confidence that I can balance the two options, generalist and specialised methods, while also continuing to experience a range of industry areas. I hope to find new specialisms within my work, while retaining my transferrable skills so that I am equipped for the volatile industry that is media and film.

• Gregory, G., 2007. Careers in media and film : the essential guide. Los Angeles: Sage.
  • Gulati, D., 2012. Keeping Your Options Open Could Be Hurting Your Career. [Online]
    Available at: https://hbr.org/2012/03/keeping-your-options-open-coul
    [Accessed 24 11 2021].
  • Luenendonk, M., 2019. The Ultimate Career Choice: Generalist vs. Specialist. [Online]
    Available at: https://www.cleverism.com/ultimate-career-choice-generalist-vs-specialist/
    [Accessed 24 11 2021].
  • Ward, P., 2006. Some Thoughts on Theory–Practice Relationships in Animation Studies. animation: an interdisciplinary journal, 1(2), pp. 229-245.