Student Editor

Dear Readers, Editorial Team, and Contributors,

I write this with immense gratitude to express my heartfelt appreciation for the incredible work that went into creating the fourth edition of the Social Science Student Journal, which is now available in print for the first time.

My journey with this journal began as a first-year undergraduate, when I had the opportunity to submit one of my essays. Little did I know then that this experience would pave the way for my involvement as a peer reviewer on the editorial team the following year, ultimately leading me to the privilege of serving as the student editor for this year’s edition.

This accomplishment would not have been possible without the courage and dedication of the brilliant undergraduates from the School of Social Science, Education, and Social Work at Queen’s University. Their willingness to share their academic endeavours and submit their essays for consideration and review has been the driving force behind our record-breaking eight successful entries, making this our biggest edition yet.

I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude to my fellow editorial team members, Saffron Baker and Olivia McCormack. Your unwavering support, hard work, and commitment have been invaluable in bringing this edition to fruition. Your contributions have undoubtedly lightened the load, and for that, I am truly thankful.

To the contributors, your passion for learning and your intellectual curiosity have breathed life into this journal. Your essays are a testament to the incredible talent and potential that exists within our student community.

To the many staff who took the time to volunteer to review our students work, this journal would not have been possible without your help, thank you is not a big enough word to cover all you do for students at our school.

Finally, I would like to thank Queen’s University’s School of Social Science, Education, and Social Work for giving us the opportunity to showcase our academic achievements and for fostering an environment that encourages intellectual discourse and academic excellence.

It has been an honour and a privilege to be a part of this journey, and I look forward to the continued growth and success of the Social Science Student Journal in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Kelly

Student Editor

1st June 2024