Student nurses, Jade and Majella share their experience of moving online in the Covid -19 pandemic

Jade:

Moving online was originally a daunting experience for me. Mainly because I thought I would never get the chance to focus on my work with a 4 -year-old at home! Nevertheless, we quickly developed a new routine and got to it. It really wasn’t much different to getting up and getting ready to go to uni. I got up and got ready but only had to sit at my desk at home! It was quite a novelty.

Participation

At the beginning, not many people went on screen to participate, it was mainly participation from the online chat or the microphone audio. I felt like my learning needs were still being met and I was actively engaging over the chat, there was something satisfying about trying to get your answer typed in first! However, it was evident that some people were not participating perhaps because it was easy to walk away. When we were encouraged to start and go on screen to participate, I thought this was a brilliant idea and might help with the connection of the class and concentration, especially with the longer topics. As we went on screen our learning really was maximised!

It didn’t feel all that different from being in class, and our tutorial lead was able to engage so much better with us, seeing our faces and reading our reactions, and the class operated more smoothly. This was much better than looking at the “… is typing..” bubble on the screen. It was fun, informative and honestly the best thing to happen in a ‘bad’ situation. I do not feel I have missed out on my tutorial classes at all, over the 12 weeks that were online, I definitely engaged more than I would have in class, as it is not as daunting offering your answers when you are in your own home. Overall, I had a really positive experience going on screen to participate in my learning and it 100% made the transition so much better and enjoyable.

Majella

At the beginning the thought of online classes scared me, with a young family I wasn’t sure how this would work.  I soon developed a routine and the lecturers understood the challenge of family commitments.  I attended every online lecture that was available.  When I settled into the new routine, I actually found that online learning suited me! Yes, its not the same as being in uni but the support was there regardless. Perhaps, as a mature student I settled quickly, knowing the demands of the degree were high. I actually found it easier than traveling 2hrs each day to university. I was able to be at home with my children whilst completing my degree.

Engagement

Engaging with the lecturers and having our own group sessions for tutorial was the biggest help throughout.  In the smaller tutorial classes, I knew most of my fellow students better and felt more comfortable.  Being able to interact with my lecturer and to physically see them eased some of my worries.  We all had the same questions or needed the same advice and sometimes just seeing each other spurred us on – it helped with class morale.  I still miss being around all the friends that I made and the hub of a uni environment, but i can honestly say it worked for me.  

About the authors

Jade is a second year student nurse, with 4 year old son. She has experience working in the the community as a Health Care Assistant and as a physiotherapy assistant. Jade has a real interest in oncology nursing and is looking forward to more practice experiences on placement!

Majella is a second year student nurse, with three children, aged, 11, 9 and 5. Starting university as a mature student has been daunting but with amazing support from her husband, children and parents, she has been able to pursue her career. 

9 thoughts on “Student nurses, Jade and Majella share their experience of moving online in the Covid -19 pandemic

• Thank you Emma. Some days at the beginning felt like it was never ending, but with time management and organising it soon became ‘easier’. Although stressful at the time, you quickly settle and develop your own routine that suits your family life.

1. We know that online learning in school children didn’t fare well so its great to hear about this success within Nursing. Thanks for sharing!

2. Thank you Jade and Magella for sharing your stories! It is great to hear how you have overcome the challenges! Keep up the great work!

3. Dear Jade and Majella,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about connected learning. As a lecturer new to QUB your insights are very helpful. It is good to know that some of the quality of teaching, learning and interaction remains within the on line environment. I agree, that being able to listen to and share with students without a mask on line is great. Teaching students face to face with a mask is great but also. frustrating

I wonder how we might improve the experience? Could we lose anything through this new ways of working or only gains? What can we learn from this to apply in practice?

4. Jade and Majella, thank you for sharing some of your experience of the unexpected transition to online learning in March, due to COVID-19. It was a very uncertain and stressful time for us all. As a lecturer, I felt very unprepared and challenged by the move to online teaching. As I tried to negotiate the technology, learning through trial and error, I was amazed and humbled by the patience, understanding and help I received from students. We adapted together and tried our best to support each other. Some days the plan worked but frequently it was sabotaged by an array of events! This unprecedented time has reinforced for me, that we are partners in teaching and learning, and our success depends on each other.

• A huge thank you Maggie!
      You were exceptional from the beginning, always encouraging us and including everyone in tutorials to participate. You went above and beyond for us whilst dealing with your own frustrations of online learning.
      Your passion, wealth of knowledge and experience is amazing and this shows with each class we attended. You battled on and kept us on track.
      On a personal level you helped me through a tough week and I’m grateful for that.

5. It was a very daunting transition, especially for someone like me and technology! Just really discipline yourself not to get distracted with the comings and goings of an active household , take time aside…I found that everyone else was in the same boat and had the same fears! I did find I concentrated more and did some extra studying incase I missed out on something! Maggie I have to say was more than accomodating nothing was too much for her. It’s not ideal online learning but I’ve managed to do 2 modules from home and passed them …so it does work!