3rd Blog Post

Networking as a Student

For collaboration led industries such as, film, VFX, costume and set design, the importance of networking cannot be understated. ’Chatting and being friendly with the right people can catapult you and your career opportunities’(www.creativelivesinprogress.com ).

Lee Sturrock (2019)

Networking refers to the act of ‘making yourself known to others in and around your field of work or study, giving them an insight into what you can offer or gain for a mutual advantage’ (medium.com). This can be carried out through online platforms most notably, LinkedIn, Indeed etc., or can occur in person, through the work space or networking events.

Sadly, not everyone has friends and connections readily within the industry, ready to catapult them into stardom and success, therefore, the best way “to get the foot in the door”, is to make these connections yourself.

I’ve always been quite intimidated with the idea of networking, especially considering its importance in building a successful career within the creative arts industry. I decided that within my placement at Big Telly, I would rise to this challenge and aim to prefect my networking skills, an area which I’ve struggled with greatly in the past. In this blogpost I will use Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle to reflect upon this experience.

Description

Admittedly I struggled to make connections with my colleagues, beyond a surface level, therefore, as my last week’s drew to a close, I challenged myself to learn more about them, especially in regards to their career progression. Whilst organising the costume department, the theatres designer, Ryan Dawson entered the room, hectically searching for costumes and props. I had been eager to speak with Ryan, due to my own interest in costume design, however, as Ryan seemed busy, I knew it wouldn’t be the best time to barrage him with questions. Instead I decided to take the initiative, asking Ryan if he needed help, although I’m no expert in theatre design I thought he would appreciate an extra pair of hands. Ryan was grateful for my offer and the two of us got to work, after this the atmosphere began to relax and a natural conversation arose. At first we discussed basic everyday topics, which then progressed into conversations around my career plans after University, with Ryan offering useful advice and support. Without realising I had ultimately created a professional connection with someone working in my desired industry, something I never felt capable doing.

Feelings

The idea of networking always stirred feelings of anxiety within me, as a student with limited experience in the creative arts, I had always doubted my ability to communicate and collaborate with those in the industry. My interaction with Ryan allowed me to see that I had been suffering from imposter syndrome, and that I had more knowledge and experience than I realised. Due to the collaborative nature of this industry, artists, no matter how experienced are always interested in working with new people, and sharing new skills and ideas. Before this I often felt nervous and intimidated speaking to people within the industry, which limited my opportunities to make successful connections. Never ‘let imposter syndrome take the wheel. Often, those networking are just as nervous as you are!’ (www.creativelivesinprogress.com).

Evaluation

During the conversation Ryan spoke intently about his career, from how he started in the industry, the intuitions he’s trained with, as well as the work that he continues to carry out within theatre, dance and teaching. By listening to Ryan, I had gained useful information on the different paths I can take to progress my own career, as well as how I can begin to market myself as a costume designer. This interaction allowed me to experience the importance of listening when connecting with others, as I had assumed networking mostly involved discussing your own desirable skills and attributes. Although this is true, it can be just as impactful to hear from the other person and to learn from their experiences. ‘If you listen to others you can think of questions to ask and what you could learn or offer to people employment wise’ (medium.com). However, although I gained great insight into the industry, and improved my ability to both promote myself and make connections, I feel that I could have gained more from the interaction, had I asked to keep in touch through email or social media, therefore, making a long term grounded connection, rather than a fleeting interaction.

Analysis

To work upon this skill, I decided to create my own LinkedIn page, as I had been regularly advised to do so by my lecturers at Queens. I had often avoided making an account, despite this advice, as I felt that as a student with limited credits, my profile would look incomplete or unprofessional. Ryan advised, that no matter what stage in your career you should own a LinkedIn page, to better promote yourself in the industry and to create stronger connections. ‘Over 100 million job applications are uploaded to LinkedIn each month and every minute, 6 people are recruited through the platform’. (www.accredible.com )

‘LinkedIn is a powerful tool for students and graduates that want to create a professional record of their education, experiences, ambitions, and ongoing development. A well optimized profile not only helps to boost visibility of job seekers but makes it easier to connect with past colleagues and peers to grow your professional network’

Jasmine Quigley (2019)
LinkedIn (2023)

Conclusion

I realised that the act of networking doesn’t have to be as challenging as I had perceived it to be, and that through online platforms like LinkedIn or by engaging in natural conversations with those who inspire you within the industry, networking can be an enjoying and enriching experience.

@bit_tellyni (2022)

References

(2023), “A guide to networking and making connections”, Creative Lives in Progress. https://www.creativelivesinprogress.com/article/a-guide-to-networking-and-making-connections#:~:text=Making%20connections%20based%20on%20common,of%20filling%20many%20creative%20roles. [accessed 15 Apr. 2023]

“BACKSTAGE DESIGN WORKSHOP”, Ryan Dawson Laight. http://www.ryandawsonlaight.com/backstage-design-workshop [accessed 15 Apr. 2023]

Quigley,J. (2022). “The Power of LinkedIn for Students & Graduates”, Accredible. https://www.accredible.com/blog/the-power-of-linkedin-for-students-graduates [accessed 15 Apr. 2023]

Sturrock,L.(2019)“The importance of networking within the creative industries”, Medium.https://medium.com/@l500019575/the-importance-of-networking-within-the-creative-industries-7f8e16040975  [accessed 15 Apr. 2023]