3rd Blog Post

The Biggest Challenge within my work placement: Lack of work

Reflective module

Pic 1: https://www.assignmentdesk.co.uk/blog/rolfe-reflective-model

I will be using the 2001 Rolfe Et Al’s model of reflection to evaluate my biggest challenge throughout my experience in my work placement. There are 3 simple steps all of which have a broad scope of meaning, first, you must ask, What? ie, what was the experience and challenge, 2nd step – So what? So what did I learn from this, what can I avoid next time, and lastly what next? – what next, do I continue on this path, Do I take the risk etc. 

What was the main challenge within my placement?

Work within the theatre and acting on screen can be very sporadic and unpredictable, making it an unsustainable career due to the lack of consistent work. This was my main issue with my placement in getting hours to do work as they only had their work planned out on a week-to-week/day-to-day basis. More often than not I was unable to attend the day of work because I was only being asked the night before and had already made commitments with my job or university. 

Pic 2: https://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/unemployment_4784345

What actions did I take?

I emailed and text through WhatsApp group chats consistently to show a keen approach to helping with any work or tasks needing to be done. In doing this I was on the minds of my supervisors so that when the time came that they needed to ask for additional help, I was the first they would contact. I also made an effort to keep up with the company’s productions in order to have conversation starters with my colleagues, in knowing what they were currently working on I could ask questions and complement different factors of the productions. In doing this I showed I cared for, and appreciated the work the staff and actors were doing.

What was the response of the theatre company?

The staff within the theatre company were trying their best to accommodate my schedule to suit the days on which I could work with them. I worked as much as I could in the various locations including the original rehearsal space, the second rehearsal space, and the performance space. After completing all of the in-person work they had available for me that also worked with my outside priorities, I had 30 hours left of my placement. I completed these remaining hours of work online. The company was at the beginning stages of entirely new production and therefore needed the dramaturgical work started. This included; doing research, documenting my findings, and creating visual and audio content of the script audience feedback, etc. They provided me with a script and asked me to research the topic of said script, which was violence against women, gender conformities, and toxic masculinity. 

Now what, will I stay in this career path?

Despite the ever-looming fear of instability within the career and therefore income and lifestyle, acting is still my passion. When looking back on my experience and how it gave me a sense of acting as a job, I think of when I was able to take advantage of an opportunity and read in for a cast member. This day experience, along with the motivational advice from the actors on set, I felt a strong sense of encouragement and hope, despite the negative outlook on employment opportunities common within this job role. I loved acting and getting to put my skills to use in a professional working environment and with the advice and experience I have been given within my placement I feel confident in my ability to become a successful actress. 

I have become more open to acting on stage in contrast to my previous attitude of only wanting to work on screen. The reason for this was the preconceived ideas that on stage didn’t have many opportunities to travel, however, the play on Frankenstein that I worked on toured both London and New York. An element of travel and excitement like this makes the job much more appealing. I was able to see firsthand how collaborative the theatre can be with the lengthy discussions between the director and actors, on what feels authentic to the scene and the needed changes, etc. To further my skills based on my experience, I would need to work on being more outspoken and confident with my ideas to participate in this aspect of theatre fully as well as, endurance as I found myself quite run down by the end of the days on the job. 

Now what do I do in the future when this problem arises?

To sustain my lifestyle and well-being, I would need a stable source of income alongside my acting career. To help with my acting career I have networked throughout my placement and have made a lot of different work relationships that I can use later on in my career and have also received a lot of tips on getting an agent to help get me work. After working from home on research tasks I have discovered how I could successfully incorporate a side business from home, possibly helping theatres with their research such as being a dramaturgs assistant or helping with any online fundraising applications etc. I have gained a lot of confidence and understanding of the theatre community and how I can benefit businesses with my skills and creative input etc.

pic 3: https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/become-child-actor-5607/