Uncategorised

TO JUST GET STARTED

AEL3001 Blog Post #1

CineMagic Logo
CineMagic Logo

Source: Google Images

KICK START

Advancing a career after a few years of relative stagnation is an interesting thing. After studying for years, I hadn’t gone anywhere with it. There is a flow of emotions, like fear, anticipation, nervousness and trepidation. But one thing is clear, the step has to be made and followed through. These were the initial feelings during the initial CV process.

In this post I will be discussing the initial process of sending out my CV’s and the initial interview process. This blog post will utilise Kolb’s Experiential Learning Circle.[i]

Kolb’s Experimental Learning Cycle

Source: Beginning Reflective Practice, By Melanie Jasper

When choosing between dissertation or placement, the choice was clear. What I was lacking was a notable amount of professional experience. I had previously been involved in extra jobs throughout courses I have been on which have certainly been essential to my development down my career path. Yet, I have lacked the prolonged experience of a professional work environment. I had a general goal from here on to find a placement that would provide me with filming and editing opportunities.

A list was sent out from the module convener of previously used companies and independent filmmakers to contact. I was eager to start, so I began to work my way down the list. Initially, I had believed that gaining a placement would have been relatively simple and fast. Yet after the seventh or eighth CV I had emailed across, I began to get nervous. Would I be able to secure one in time? If I did, would it be one I would like to work at or would I be put in a position to take what I could get.

Luckily, around mid-June, my fears were put to rest as Joan from CineMagic reached out for a quick Zoom meeting. I had been in a few interviews but never one on Zoom, so I made sure to find a quiet room and some time before to research the company beforehand. I researched what their projects were and the events they put on throughout the year. As their October Film Festival was approaching, I was eager to test myself in live environments. Yet a criticism I have upon my CV, as Martin John Yate discusses is the lack of basic points employers look for which may have helped with receiving more responses. Some of these included “analytical thinking” and “leadership”.[ii] Both of which I had experience in and will make note to write for my next role.

LEARNING WITH KOLB

Using the previously mentioned Kolb’s Experiential Learning Circle, I started to strategise on my upcoming interview. Like many applicants, my first few interview’s in the past left a lot to be desired. One particular element was my simple lack of preparation and research into the company. I did not want to repeat this trend, so I elected to look at their previous film festivals through YouTube and their Facebook page. While I wasn’t sure on the role I would be performing I knew it would be better to cover the bases, so I looked back on my research into film festivals for my Creative Enterprise module last year. Specifically, my group had conducted interviews with some festival employees, Mary McVey of BFI and Mary Lindsey of NI Screen who discussed at length their approach to their festivals. Including how many they would put on a year and how they can incorporate themes into the screenings, like for the screening of The Exorcist (1978) in an abandoned church to match the gothic horror nature of the film.[iii] [iv]Melanie Jasper notes how because the reflective process is “cyclical” there is the ability to approach issues from a new point of view after each cycle.[v]

As the interview began, I jokingly stated that much of the interview would be me promoting the SRC because of the practical knowledge that I had learned there. Myself and Joan had a pleasant chat about myself and my skill base, what I was looking to gain from working with CineMagic. She was rather eager to get someone to cover some of the upcoming classes she had schedules a few weeks on.

An obstacle that I ran into was at the first BFI Masterclass I filmed. One of the speakers was contracted to not appear on camera until his project was completed. This proved difficult as they were very expressive in their teaching and would pace and gesture a considerable amount. Inevitably I had gotten him on camera, so I offered to lighten the burden of the social media department by editing his pieces out. Unfortunately for audio consistency I had to remove some of the talk he had been giving, but regardless there was still plenty of footage to post.

IN CONCLUSION

I feel the initial experience of working with CineMagic has proven to be enjoyable and engaging. Every staff member is pleasant and easy to approach with questions not simply because they are experienced in taking on volunteers and have certainly honed, but also are humble and genuine individuals. The small issue I had on that initial day was easily fixed. I was happy to help as I also improves my work ethic in working to a deadline which I know is so highly valued in this industry when time really is significant money. I look forward to the coming weeks and what CineMagic will have in store for me next as I know this is just the beginning.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

[i] Jasper, Melanie, Beginning Reflective Practice, UK. (Nelson Thornes, 2003), pg3.

[ii] Yate John, Martin, Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions,10THed, UK, (KoganPage, 2017), pg12.

[iii] Lindsay, Mary, 2022, NI Screen Company Conversation, Interview by Genres 4 Film Team.

[iv] McVey, Mary, 2022, Belfast Film Institute Company Conversations, Interviewed by Genres 4 Film Team.

[v] Jasper, Melanie, Beginning Reflective Practice, UK. (Nelson Thornes, 2003), pg3.

Filmography

Freidkin, William. The Exorcist. US. 1973. Hoya Productions.