Top Tips to Survive Fresher’s Week

Hello everyone!

My name is Jess and I’m your Student Welfare Officer here in Queen’s Students’ Union.

As Welfare Officer it is my top priority to ensure all your welfare needs are met. I’m here to help with any welfare problems you might have like your general well-being, mental and sexual health, housing or safety. I provide a drop in listening service where you can talk about these things that might be affecting you in a safe, non-judgemental and confidential space. As well as this I often run campaigns campus wide to create awareness and tackle important issues! I just finished my nursing degree so I’m now a real life registered nurse! Who better to look after your welfare?

Here’s my top tips for surviving the next few weeks…

GET ENOUGH SLEEP it can get pretty noisy this time of the year- think of a carnival or circus but on steroids. Don’t underestimate how much you WILL need sleep! Sleep allows time for your body to relax and rejuvenate after all those long days and evenings!

JOIN A CLUB OR SOCIETY Go to Fresher’s Fair (next Wednesday and Thursday in the Union) and see what clubs and societies are on offer! Here at Queens we have some weird and wonderful societies you will never find outside of university, so make the most of it! It’s a great way to meet new people and improve your skills.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF our Fresher’s events are over two weeks, so that’s 14 days of seriously heavy socialising! If you are having a drink or two be responsible! Don’t forget to pace yourself and have a glass of water every now and again to stay hydrated. Never feel pressurised into drinking- if you don’t want to go out one night, or just aren’t a fan of drinking, that is completely fine – It does not make you any less of a student!

IT’S OK TO MISS HOME Missing home, your friends and family is completely understandable. But remember you are not alone. You can talk to other fresher’s about how you are feeling or drop into the Student Officer Office on the 2nd floor of the Students’ Union, there are 5 of us here who know what you’re going through! Keep in contact with home, even if it is just once a week and make your room as homey as possible- it really helps when you have serious homesick days!

STAY SAFE I could run campaigns until the cows came home, but there a few fundamental things you need to do yourself.  If you expect you might have a bit of a wild night, be sure to carry a condom or two ‘just in case’. Always let people know where you are going and in case of emergencies have someone on speed dial. Here in the SU we have a ‘Cab Now. Pay Later’ scheme with Value Cabs. If you are short on money and need a way home- please don’t walk! If you give the driver your student card they leave it at the SU reception so you can pay at a later date. Once you’ve paid your fare, you’ll get your student card back! Simples.

ENJOY YOURSELF- Most importantly, HAVE FUN! And if it’s not the best week of your life…Don’t Worry! You have your whole university experience ahead of you!

Lots of Love,

Jess x

JESSICA EMAIL SIG

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in Welfare. Bookmark the permalink.