SETAC Europe 2018 – Rome!

Sabrina Cipullo, the Remediate ESR at Cranfield University describes her recent experiences at the SETAC Europe meeting

20180515_104942_1526740188861I recently had the opportunity to attend the SETAC (Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry) Europe 28th Annual Meeting from 13th to 17th May in Rome. I was honoured that our abstract was accepted for oral presentation at this conference, with over 2600 abstract submissions! In my field of study this is, without argument, the largest meeting. The final programme with over 80 sessions was a great opportunity to learn more about emerging research, regulatory developments, and the latest methodologies in environmental toxicology and chemistry.

DdOiuz9XcAA_JBWI presented results from my work on Linking bioavailability of complex mixture to toxicity changes to assess recovery of contaminated soils at the Bioavailability and realistic risk assessment of organic chemicals session on Monday afternoon. The work we presented was the result of a 6 month laboratory scale experiment with the aim of assessing the impact of biochar or compost amendments on the bioavailability of complex chemical mixtures. During my presentation, the room was crowded with more than 250 people, and I had very interesting questions from the audience; it was a good opportunity to present the outcomes of my project and receive feedback from academic and industrial peers.

During the conference I attended many high quality sessions, where experienced speakers were addressing a wide range of topics, with the overarching theme of Responsible and Innovative Research for Environmental Quality. Responsible research and innovation should bring together stakeholders (scientists, regulators, industry, and social actors) to collaborate towards an ethical and sustainable approach that ensure correct implementation of scientific progress in our society with the overall aim of safeguarding of the environment.

20180515_134339_1526740188416The conference also provided a number of events happening in parallel such as mentoring opportunities, training courses, job-events, and student activities. On Tuesday I did the 5K fun-run, which was a good opportunity to meet people who were passionate about sport and make some friends from all over the world, I also won a medal!

During the conference I met several researchers who wanted me to update them further on the outcome of my project, which was was very encouraging and delightful; I did receive very good commendations as well as constructive criticism, some of which I have already implemented into my work. If you work in the field of environmental toxicology and chemistry, SETAC is a must-go event!

IMG-20180513-WA0086_1526740186874 IMG-20180513-WA0087_1526740187419

Next on the horizon is our REMEDIATE Conference: “Remediation and Land Management: research meets practice” at Riddel Hall, Queen’s University Belfast on 19th-20th September. See you there!