Meet the Researchers – Suman Kharel

Suman blog resize

“If you can’t be in awe of Mother Nature, there’s something wrong with you.” – Alex Trebek

I was born in a peaceful country: Nepal, as often said, a utopia of natural beauty. I grew up in the foothills of the Himalayas, an area of marvellous scenic exquisiteness. Nevertheless, our natural surroundings are under threat from serious environmental challenges. There’s a necessity and urgency for cognizant use of natural resources, protecting the environment from degradation and elimination of pollutants present in the environment. Our biological nature demands clean air, water, soil and energy, and biodiversity for our good health and well-being. This is why I joined the REMEDIATE project as a Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher in TE Laboratories Ltd and Dublin City University. My research objective focuses on the development of innovative methods to monitor organic contaminants in soil and water. I am currently working in the R&D department of TE Laboratories, surrounded by very friendly and supportive colleagues.

I completed my undergrad in Microbiology and Chemistry from the Tribhuvan University, the oldest and most renowned University in Nepal. After my degree, I moved to Germany to pursue my Masters in Water Science in the University of Duisburg Essen. My Master thesis was based on the development of an analytical method to assess Triclosan (a biocide) and its methylated products in soil and earthworms from biosolid amended agricultural sites and the German Environmental Specimen Bank.

I am a globetrotter and inverse paranoid. I love listening to music, reading books, doing sports and having get-togethers with friends whenever I have spare time. Finally, I would like to say that the opportunity to work within the elite research group of REMEDIATE, juxtaposing with an emphasis on networking & training, plus independent & extensive research in a specialized area, has been a special privilege to me.