Eighteenth-Century Collections Online or ECCO consists of every significant English-language and foreign-language title printed in the United Kingdom during the 18th century. This includes thousands of important works from the Americas also. ECCO is one of the most ambitious single digitization projects ever undertaken.
This database includes:
- Over 180,000 titles (200, 000 volumes)
- Includes books, pamphlets, essays, broadsides and more
- Based on the English Short Title Catalogue (ESTC)
- Works published in the UK during the 18th century
- Primarily in English – also includes other languages
The span of content contained in ECCO is incredibly impressive; it includes (i) History and Geography, (ii) Social Sciences and Fine Arts, (iii) Medicine, Science and Technology, (iv) Literature and Languages, (v) Religion and philosophy, and (vi) Law. It could be of use to your research!
Some of the benefits of using this resource for research include:
- Ability to search across documents
- Keyword searching (time saving)
- Contributing to preservation of original documents (digital surrogates / facsimiles)
- Making resources more accessible online for distance research.
Information to guide you in using the database can be found in the Research Tools tab on the ECCO platform.