What is Mediasite?
Mediasite is a video streaming platform, which is fully supported by Information Services and integrates directly with Canvas. It allows staff to record, upload and share recorded lectures, seminars, events and other video and audio content.
Benefits of using Mediasite in Canvas:
- In Canvas various types of media can be incorporated into your course without taking up ANY of your allotted Canvas storage.
- All content will be fully backed up by QUB.
- All video & audio content plays seamlessly in China and other areas due to content being delivery by the University Janet consortium.
Content can be shared with a large or controlled audience. (like other peers for content control or editing)
- Full training is available on regular courses throughout the year.
Accessing Mediasite in Canvas:
Mediasite can be accessed and content embedded into Canvas in the Rich Content Editor. More information: https://blogs.qub.ac.uk/digitallearning/support/system-integrations/mediasite-in-canvas-guide/
A 2hr Mediasite training course runs every two weeks in 92 Lisburn Road and is bookable via iTrent. This course will demonstrate a wide range of Mediasite features including:
- Collaborative online space to create and manage your media
- Editing, publishing and sharing your content
- Managing permissions with your class or external parties
- Adding links and chapters, Including polls or quizzes in your video content
- Tagging your content (for search)
- Online editor
- The use of captioning (subtitling your content)
Note: Mediasite offers this functionality with absolutely no prior knowledge of video editing required.
By default, each Canvas Course has 500 MB of storage space.
- Files uploaded to Module Files in Files (images, documents, etc.)
- Assignment submission file responses uploaded by instructors (if the instructor uploads a file in response to a student submission) (Note: That Turnitin also has an individual limit on papers of 20MB or 400pages)
- Module pages, discussions, assignments, quizzes built in Canvas
- Module images
How to check your storage limits. Click Settings, click File Storage tab.
Module Storage Quota
For more information, please check out the Canvas guides.