Set Up and Administration of Assignments
- Make the instructions clear and unambiguous:
- In your Canvas course, click ‘Assignments.’
- Click ‘+Assignment’ to start setting up your assignment.
- Give your assignment a title e.g. ‘Alternative Assignment…’ and enter all the ‘instructions to students’ into the into the box below.
- Give simple and clear instructions, insert a link to the ‘alternative assessment file,’ (so students can download it) and insert a link to the assignment ‘pro-forma template’ (so students can download this and use it as a ‘cover page’ to their assignment) if you have decided to use one.
2. Follow the detailed set up explained in our guidance material:
- Points: Set to 100
- Assignment Group: Place your ‘Alternative Assignment’ into the new ‘Assignment Group’ you created earlier.
- Display Grade As: Set to ‘points.’
- Submission Type: Set to ‘online and ‘file upload.’ (Note: Turnitin assignments are NOT recommended.)
- Group Assignments & Peer Reviews: Do NOT tick these options.
- Anonymous Grading: No need to select this option. (in this current situation, Queens is not proceeding with anonymity for alternative assessments.)
- Anonymous Instructor Annotations: No need to select this option.
3. Check the ‘available from’ and the ‘available to’ dates/times are set before publishing:
- Assign To: Select ‘everyone’ or you can select ‘individual students’ if necessary.
- Due Date: Select the correct date & time. This is when the ‘alternative assignment’ will end.
- Available From: Select the correct date & time. This is when the portal will open/the ‘alternative assignment’ will start.
- Until Date: Select the correct date & time. This is when the portal will close.