We have WordPress (v3.0.5) installed to deliver blogs of the format domain.com/blog1 and domain.com/blog2, however we would also like to be able to host blogs with their own already registered domain name, so ….
- Get the MU Domain Mapping plugin and unzip somewhere safe
- Copy the domain_mapping.php file to ./wp-content/mu-plugins
- Copy the sunrise.php file to ./wp-content
- Edit the ./wp-config.php file
- Uncomment the line: define( ‘SUNRISE’, ‘on’ );
- Comment out the line: define(‘COOKIE_DOMAIN’, ‘blogs.domain.com’);
- Visit the WordPress backend and click SuperAdmin -> Domain Mapping
- Enter the server IP address and I just ticked the options for: Permanent redirect and User domain mapping page
- Enable a domain name for a site by clicking Super Admin -> Sites, Choose ‘Backend’ for the site you want to amend
- Click Tools > Domain Mapping
- Enter the domain name and click ‘Add’
Note: You must ensure that your new domain DNS record is either an A record pointing to your wordpress server IP address or a CNAME record pointing to your wordpress domain name.
WordPress is the cat’s whiskers!