Shadowing and the Shadow’s shadow of doubt. 

In my last blog I compared myself to the film School of Rock’s main protagonist Dewey Finn. I discussed how I was a like to Finn in my approach to teaching. This included attempting to put on a convincing persona that I was destined to be a great teacher. This time it is not so much about the rapport building with students, but I find myself more focused on teaching the musical syllabus and reflecting on the outcomes of each lesson. 

[1] Figure 1. Model of Reflection in the Learning Process (Boud et al., 1985) 

Boud et al remind us that the outcomes in our reflection process are not just the outcomes of our experience(s) but what we as individuals feel and do about our actions and how we can improve our experiences next time. 

My early Saturday morning starts begin with Jam 1 musicianship class. Jam 1 pupils range from ages 4 to 7. Teaching music to younger children can be a challenge due to different attention spans, the enthusiasm to learn and introducing them to new concepts. In Jam we approach teaching with Paul Harris teaching methods. Since the beginning of the placement Juliana has always had Harris’ books on hand to help guide us with our teaching experience and to further our reflections in depth. Harris refers to the Three Pillars of Effective Teaching which explained by Harris are, “a framework or structure that underpins and drives our teaching, an environment for that structure to develop within and a method to bring our teaching to life.”(Harris,2012) [2] This would refer to lesson plans, having Queen’s music building as our venue and how we introduce musicianship and musicality to our students effectively. 

My role within JAM is being a TA (teaching assistant) which requires being on hand to support the lead tutor of the group. I have been working alongside tutor Samuel Smith from the beginning of my time with JAM. My fellow TA Paddy Stocker and I have shadowed Sam’s lessons and helped to gauge the children’s focus towards Sam by sitting among them in our morning circle and participating in tasks. As previously mentioned, the children’s attention spans can start to wither away which then results in a lack of engagement from one child that may cause disruption and distraction for the rest of the group, so Paddy and I also keep this in mind when helping Sam’s classes run smoothly.  

In our Jam 1 sessions I had started to evolve my role within the class. I was no longer amongst the pupils as a shadow but more so as a teacher. Sam had given myself the opportunity that I could take over the sessions and take on his role as the main tutor for a song or two each lesson. This was with the intention that I would walk away from my work placement with experience of teaching a group and leading a lesson. With the previous weeks of having shadowed Sam, it was now time to put my learning into action. 

“A fundamental concept is the idea that we need to find ways of ‘recognising’ the causes and effects of our actions and acknowledging our own part in them.” (Jasper, 2006) [3] Jasper is saying this in regards of the progress of reflection, I believe that this quote is appropriate when discussing the ways of teaching musicianship skills to the younger children of JAM. Often the activities we do in class will pass over the children’s minds as they initially respond with little recognition as to why the task is related to musicianship. They mostly recognise the connection to music through sing along and react positively to the activities interpreting them as fun and games rather than the overall learning outcome that has been aimed for. This is the case for Jam 1 pupils as later in Jam 2 classes we emphasise the learning outcomes so the children can make the connection between the lessons and the musicianship they acquire. It is our job as teachers to ensure we are building these paths between actions and learning for the children so they can begin to develop an understanding of how our lessons are related to music. 

Before my first lesson in which I would take the lead from Sam, he and I had discussed a lesson plan. This process consisted of predicting reflection of the lesson before it had taken place. The lesson plan consisted of activity, key skills, and stating what the outcome from the lesson would be. 

Although the process of prior reflecting before the lesson had taken place was odd to me as I often go off on a whim and reflect on whatever the outcomes of my actions are, but in hindsight it helped me to structure my lesson and for me to understand the purpose of the lesson and what I could do to further increase the children’s learning. 

The song we went for was known as On the Farmer’s Apple Tree. This song encourages the children to explore their voices with opportunities to grow in confidence singing as part of a group. The key skills that were exercised would be memorisation, actions in the song, distinguishing between speaking and singing voice and following verbal cues. Our learning intention was that all the children will be able to sing with confidence, most will be able to distinguish between their speaking voice and their singing voice, some will be able to keep in a sense of pulse whilst initiating simple rhythm words 

Activities I chose to do in relation to the song were to hum tune to see if children recognise it from prior lesson, sing through the song together using different voices whilst changing my voice half was through and asking the children to touch their shoulders when they recognise the entrance of a different voice. I was able to test the children’s musical recall by removing a word so see if they can maintain the tune without all the notes. 

Reflection. Not just reflecting myself, but mirroring Sam. This song had been a part of our lessons before, and this allowed the children and me to gain familiarity with the tune. When it came to my opportunity to lead the lesson, I found that I would copy Sam’s mannerisms when teaching as this is what I had experienced, worked well with the children, and kept them engaged. 

Taking the leap from shadow to teacher was a challenge, no matter how in depth my lesson plan was previously to the lesson, the voice of my subconscious was there to remind me I was still liked to my shadow in some way… a shadow of doubt. I feared that the children would respond negatively to me as I was often in the role of a participant rather than a leader within the previous lessons. 

“It is not sufficient simply to have an experience in order to learn. Without reflecting upon this experience, it may quickly be forgotten, or its learning potential lost.” (Gibbs, 1988) [4]. After the session Sam gave me feedback on my takeover, to my delight it was positive feedback. He said the kids remained engaged, some children appeared more confident in my session, as I reflect on this I believe it may be down to closely working with the children in the first semester and having built a closer rapport with them in comparison to Sam as I was available to carry out one on one support to the individuals during the sessions led by Sam, for example, as previously mentioned, keeping them engaged by reminding them to use their ‘listening ears’ or helping keep the pulse of the songs by clapping along with the children and participating with them as well as Sam.  

“To learn one must be humble. But life is a great teacher.” [5] As I look back at how I felt when taking on the leading role, I wonder what may have been the outcome without the feelings of self-doubt. By allowing myself to be vulnerable and putting my learning to the test I was able to succeed in leading a group lesson, which for me is a huge victory. 

Recently, Juliana scheduled a progress meeting with me to discuss how my placement would ensure I was getting enough out of my time to gain the best understanding of the ways of teaching. This gave me an opportunity for not only self-reflection, but to have another’s opinion so I could increase the depth of the reflection process and discover more possibilities of outcomes. 

We discussed exchanging JAM 3 musicianship class in exchange for shadowing individual lessons for guitar. We decided that this would benefit me as it would allow me to experience a one-on-one teaching environment in comparison to the group teaching sessions, I was more acquainted with.  

For the remainder of my time at Jam I am making the progress to ensure that I have used this experience to its full potential, reflect frequently and enjoy the privilege of being a teaching figure. My goal at the beginning of this process was to experience music being taught in a more encouraging way than I had experienced in my own school days. I can confidently say that I am finding myself more alike to the teacher I needed back then. I think it is time I stopped being a shadow. 

[1] A Change in Perspective: Agriculturally-Based Study Abroad Experience for Nicaraguan Students – Scientific Figure on ResearchGate. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Model-of-Reflection-in-the-Learning-Process-Boud-et-al-1985_fig1_325514655 [accessed 8 March, 2024] 

[2] Harris, P. (2015) The virtuoso teacher : the inspirational guide for instrumental and singing teachers. Updated edition. London: Faber Music Ltd. 

[3] Jasper, M. (2006) Reflection, Decision-Making and Professional Development. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing. 

[4] Gibbs, G. (1988) Learning by Doing: A Guide to Teaching and Learning Methods. Oxford: Oxford Further Education 
Unit. 

[5] Joyce, James. Ulysses. Wordsworth Editions, 2010.