Bob, Bert and I, the Road to Redemption.

Daunting, imposing and uncomfortable. Previous experiences with interviews led to me associating these three words with them. I never enjoyed the experience of being interviewed in a professional setting; I always felt uncomfortable, as if I was putting on a performance, an inauthentically hyperbolised version of myself. However, I learned that the necessary evil of interview performance was a skill I had yet to hone. In interviews I felt a fraud, I had to change my mindset. Thus, I set my sights upon the 9th of February, the day I would change my previous misfortune for good and correct my shortcomings.

The Bob and Bert’s Incident

A formative encounter that warped my perspective on interviews took place on the 21st of April 2023 in a cramped corner of the café Bob and Bert’s. Approaching the date, my spirits were high, a new challenge beckoned, the challenge of coffee artistry. I answered the beckoning call of Bob and Bert and undertook the interview with an open mind and a hopeful heart. A rare happening occurred, I felt at ease, I responded to the questions relayed with confidence and control talking from a place of experience I believed I was enroute to new employment. However, my fates changed as the interviewer posed an unforeseen question.

“What barista experience do you have?”

They discovered me for what I was… A fraud. With this question the tides had turned, my composure faltered, I nervously scrambled for the words to say, I had no experience of barista work. I hastily answered,

“To be honest, I have no experience.”

I immediately felt uneasy and out of place, I eagerly awaited the end as this encounter morphed from interview to interrogation.

5 days laters I open my email to a disappointing but expected message:

The Long Road to Redemption

Hoping to shake the woes of Bob and Bert’s, I will reflect upon the process of simulated interviewing using Gibb’s Reflective Cycle.

Firstly, my classmates and I were divided into interview groups, I then began researching and decided upon the job I would apply for. I searched to find meaningful employment that combined my interests and expertise together and happened upon the role of Football Videographer Internship. With an application decided, I began planning. Ros states that ‘the interviewer will expect you to have done some research into the organisation’ (20,2011) following this advice I familiarised myself with PrestigeVIP to ensure preparedness, therefore sharpening the focus of my responses and exhibiting an awareness of broader company endeavours. PrestigeVIP are a concierge service that offer hospitality packages, the role of Football Videographer would undertake the responsibility of reviewing the quality their services, whilst capturing visually striking promotional content. Armed with expanded knowledge I then began analysing the job description to identify the traits PrestigeVIP are looking for.

Committing time to research allowed me to assess my suitability in advance of the interview, I gathered my thoughts and recalled upon prior experience. I had previously shot videos for Hibernian Football Club in Scotland, the content I shot featured players training which I then edited, the footage was low budget, filmed on my iPhone. However, although my experience was minimal, this practice was invaluable as I could utilise my shortcomings as a tool to showcase my understanding in the interview process. Upon researching into PrestigeVIP and analysing the job description I felt my confidence bolster, before completing analysis, the uncertainty of questions filled me with anxiety, but this knowledge delivered a foundation I could apply in my interview approach and furthermore settled some of my nerves. I believe this process aided in my understanding of PrestigeVIP and what type of candidate they were looking for, I surmised they were searching for a candidate with expertise, enthusiasm, and assertiveness in the industry of content creation. As Ros asserts ‘The more you have rehearsed and prepared, the less you have to fear’ (49,2011), armed with this information I felt focused well in advance of the looming date 9th of February.

Crossing Enemy Lines

After preparing for my interview, I found myself in a unique position, I must now craft questions from a perspective I had never considered, the position of the dreaded interviewer. Excited by this proposition I began constructing questions for my peers, this process was illuminating. I found myself developing my own rationale and formulating questions with ease, the switching of roles allowed me to greater understand the angle of interviewers. I realised the perspective of the interviewer never harnessed any malice intent instead, they serve to efficiently determine suitability of applicants. This exercise forced me to reconceptualise my flawed perception of interviews and develop sharper instincts to answer questions astutely. My questions pertained to the essence of what employers were looking for. One of my peers intended to apply for the role of a wedding videographer, after researching the job description, it was evident the company required an applicant who was self-sufficient and could produce an entire production independently thus my question ascertained to this need,

This role demands responsibility can you give an example of a time you solved a production related problem?”

I attempted to ask questions that pertained to personal experience as Katz writes ‘interviews allow people to express emotional qualities of their experiences’ (26, 2022), this broader style of question allowed my peers to elucidate their thoughts freely and granted time for me, as interviewer, to be observant and attentive to their responses. This practice developed my awareness of the interviewer’s intentions behind questions, thus improving my instinctual responses, giving me confidence if an unforeseen question was to arise.

The 9th of February

Equipped with knowledge and preparation completed well in advance I should be confident and assertive. However, as I walked into a crowded room my doubts began to creep up on me.

• What if they ask me a question I haven’t thought of?
  • What if I can’t think of any experience?
  • What if my voice cracks?

I settled my anxieties by remembering the postulations of Kennedy, ‘when you start to tell about yourself, focus on aspects of your life that illustrate your value as a candidate for the position you seek.’ (2012) Refocused and assured I sat down amongst my group. The interviews would be conducted alphabetically and unfortunately for me that meant I would be last. I wished to go first and get it over with but now I would have to remain patient. After the first interview had concluded I immediately realised that this task was not as daunting as I had assumed, thus I felt a growing confidence in my ability to tackle any question posed my way. Conducting interviews was extremely enlightening as I was able to assess the pros and cons of my peers’ responses and internalise my findings into my own approach. I observed and listened attentively; I realised the effect of carrying an assertive demeanour upon interviewers. Thus, I wished to project an air of confidence in my interview. Before I knew it, it was time…

“What skills can you bring to this role?”

I listed off my technical proficiencies in a variety of software, to display my expertise in a variety of fields. I attempted to earnestly respond and maintain focus whilst displaying my additional knowledge of PrestigeVIP’s values. I responded assuredly and felt I handled my questions well. This momentum continued throughout my interview, I answered confluently and comprehensively as I worked to address each question with aplomb. Until an unforeseen question arose.

“What types of videos have you produced in the past?”

Suddenly I was transported back to that cramped corner of Bob & Bert’s. Would I falter or remain strong? I became conscious of how much time I was spending trying to scheme the perfect answer. This was a true test of my resolve, I struggled to recollect; I took a deep breath and a feeling of clarity washed over me. I gathered myself and in an act of defiance to Bob and Bert I was reinvigorated. I detailed my experiences editing and producing YouTube short content and offered an encompassing view of my range of production credits across the differing forms of media. I tackled this final question, the dust had settled it was done.

Moving Forward

Upon the first announcement of the simulated interview assignment, I had an overwhelming feeling of anxiety, as I walked into the room this feeling re-emerged. The uncertainty and doubts of my previous interviews clouded my head.

However, recalling these attempts I recognised my preparation was not thorough enough. Conducting research into company endeavours and analysing the job description informed me of key character traits PrestigeVIP were searching for, this knowledge built up a foundation of confidence that I carried throughout my interview. Overall, the experience was extremely beneficial as it forced me to practice my technique, however interviewing with peers I was familiar with negated the professional atmosphere, thus hindering the potential results I could have achieved to an extent. The feedback I received from peers was a great indication of aspects I can improve upon such as maintaining formality and keeping tangents to a minimum. I believe this experience was a useful learning tool as I had never interviewed for a position in the creative industries, therefore I can apply my findings as I enter the world of professional employment.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Jay, Ros. (2011) Brilliant Interview: What employers want to hear and how to say it. 3rd ed. Harlow: Prentice Hall.

Katz-Buonincontro, J. (2022) How to Interview and Conduct Focus Groups. 1st edition. APA PsycNet [Online]. Available at: https://psycnet-apa-org.queens.ezp1.qub.ac.uk/fulltext/2022-79852-003.pdf (Accessed: 01.03.24)

Kennedy, J. Lain. (2012) Job Interviews for Dummies. O’Reilly [Online]. Available at: https://learning.oreilly.com/library/view/job-interviews-for/9781118112908/23_9781118112908-ch16.html#a4 (Accessed: 02.03.24).

OTHER LINKS

PrestigeVIP: https://prestige-vip.com/

Job Link: https://uk.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=6b1d98daec02cfa8&advn=8823335171294537&adid=425659745&ad=-6NYlbfkN0CEAYV19HGqqgpGvI9RC97w4amVCv5UA0Q6WJJDXtG3XdwtCC-McYCeRYp1odf7duR3NugsZZsgx2JQeNIAwMLhAkWw-9KI_hVjO7CmclE9dUMvpzrBPSAbAk2L0jzEesCSUPPv-wfzkYKesVeDFBIYQelHLKDC6v9z0NPlBgMs4R53O-gk4yn0yxKkjFxQ-Snnv8C_PBj5uj0PBlIH513B5rl32BBTdIzwMxTLx3mkmoKWvzKY6PCv_A1oUW5XqyicKOs5Sl9HgO4yQNpr8ObrehTlbCiLC2XcXsTzj3wOco3jqfO1J5aeItBNTB-c6U0ppyayoTlVakZ3gHx8915ps6LGXKQkR264t2QoZ8QEoSFTKvhet7yv4zxINP9M9f15gOgLPgujxvqKKyRIuAFn5MpG1WgQXE2DasnLUGUT_W5Ji-Ts9xJ05fnhXJEk1oaY0IsafRDFhiiY0Qp7sPgT3SwVSkeLS4IuqJBjdNvBCYlhhVPMqtTR5En4IvquPwIrEDrrdxh_a2Qgeo_eiwBXZZNdTs_fOGwoMvhEyD3b_A%3D%3D&from=mobRdr&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.indeed.com%2Fjob%2Ffootball-videographer-internship-6b1d98daec02cfa8&desth=3a06580ad06377358f4ee22e6d2fcd08&prevUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3Dfilm%26l%3D%26from%3DsearchOnHP%26sameL%3D1&tk=1hm532spnjrhk802&dupclk=1&acatk=1hm537ms7j9jc800&pub=6917c08ec3ecf6012dd26f3773156e870cace3277f6b99df&camk=4HOcmqOLYrAyXapVSnVw5A%3D%3D&xkcb=SoC96_M3EFOERkQsVR0bbzkdCdPP&xpse=SoDc6_I3EFORB2xGjJ0JbzkdCdPP&utm_source=%2Fm%2F&utm_medium=redir&utm_campaign=dt