Do Not Underestimate The Importance Of The Simulated Interview

I participated in a simulated interview with my classmates on Thursday, February 1, 2024, in order to get us ready for our impending completion of University and the reality of having to go for job interviews. Teaching English at a secondary school is my goal and ideal career, therefore I shall be applying for a position as an English teacher. I thought I would be better equipped to respond to queries if I chose a career I am enthusiastic about. In addition, I knew I could include several instances from my current placement in a local school where I am developing my skills to realise this long held aspiration of becoming an English teacher. I knew this experience would benefit me greatly. As a result, I thought I had enough prior experience to discuss during the interview. However, I did have a number of concerns approaching the interview which I will delve into in this blog post.

(1)

This blog will include an examination of how the simulated interview experience has prepared me for future interviews, as well as a reflective analysis of the experience utilising both the Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle and the Star Method. I was introduced to both the Gibbs Reflective Cycle and The Star Method at the beginning of the programme, and they both assisted me in effectively structuring my answers to the panel. I was able to convey to the panel that I was well-prepared and competent by using both of these strategies.

(2) Gibbs’ reflective cycle (1988)

Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle

How I felt approaching the Interview

(3) ‘Gibb’s approach is characteristic of all the strategies, or frameworks, for reflection that have been developed over the succeeding years.’ (Jasper, 2013: 85)  A tornado of feelings swept over me as I got closer to the mock interview for a job teaching English. Nervousness coupled with anticipation created a powerful mixture of both exhilaration and fear. I was excited about the opportunity to present my teaching skills to my fellow peers because I wanted to leave a good impression. But on reflection behind the surface was a tangible nervousness, fed by expectations and the dread of failing. There was a lot of mystery around the interview process, which made me feel both vulnerable and self-conscious. But in the middle of all the mixed feelings, there was a glimmer of resolution that kept me moving forward and inspired me to give it my all no matter what the circumstances. I felt a mixture of excitement and dread as I entered the interview room. In my mind, I started grasping for techniques to control my feelings of worry and anxiety. Managing my nerves in an interview is pivotal for showcasing confidence and competence. An excellent way to deal with anxiety is to accept them as a normal part of the process. According to psychologist Amy Cuddy’s power posing studies, striking expansive poses can lower cortisol levels, which can lower anxiety and increase confidence. Through adequate preparation and mindset adjustments, one can successfully manage nerves, paving the way for a successful interview experience. Despite the fact that my interview was just ten minutes long, I felt that as I became more comfortable answering questions and felt more confident about myself, my openness and overall quality of my answers improved. As a result, I believe that in subsequent interviews, it would be beneficial to focus on keeping a constant level of both confidence and a good use of language.

Mark Twain once said, “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.”

(4) Mark Twain’s Autobiography: In Two Volumes,”

The Interview

A lecture hall was used for the simulated interview for the English teaching post. My fellow peers played the roles of colleague teachers and school officials. I made an effort to share my enthusiasm for teaching, show that I understood the material well, and use effective communication techniques during the whole session. After reflective self-evaluation, I concluded that my performance was good in most areas of the mock interview. I showed that I had a thorough command of English language ideas and that I could modify my teaching methods to accommodate a range of student demands. Nonetheless, there were instances in which I didn’t live up to my expectations. I became aware of situations in which I might have handled classroom dynamics more effectively, used instructional materials more skillfully, and give explanations more clearly. In addition, even though I succinctly stated my teaching philosophy, there were times when I hesitated or answered some of the interview panels questions inconsistently.

The STAR Method

In order to conduct a thorough analysis of my performance I implemented the STAR method. I further investigated the fundamental elements that shaped my choices and behaviours throughout the mock interview. I realised that my anxiety was caused by both a desire to impress the interview panel and a fear of failing. I also admitted that my sporadic hesitancies and inconsistent answers stemmed from a lack of careful planning and familiarity with possible interview topics. The first question I had to answer in the interview was ‘What made you want to become a secondary school teacher.’ I responded by saying that I really enjoyed English and that I loved school. Although this is true I failed to mention my biggest inspiration who is my dad and how he is a secondary school teacher. I believe that nerves got the better of me. I didn’t fully express how influential my dad has been, or how his enthusiasm and positivity for teaching has made me want to follow in his footsteps. It is possible that I felt vulnerable discussing this personal aspect of my life in a professional setting. Looking back now I regret this greatly but this simulated interview had allowed me not to make the same mistake again! As American author Maya Angelou once stated, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. (5) The quotation by Maya Angelou is applicable in a simulated interview context since it emphasises how important it is to leave a lasting impression through interactions and communication. The impression of how you interact with the interviewer and portray yourself will last long after the actual questions and answers in a simulated interview have faded from memory. This quotation serves as a helpful reminder to pay attention to both the substance of your responses and the way you present them—demonstrating empathy, assurance, and sincerity. Focusing on the emotional resonance of your interactions can help make a lasting impression on the interviewers, something I believe I failed to do.

However using the STAR approach in the context of my simulated interview allowed me to present my accomplishments, abilities, and talents in an organised way, making a good impression on the interviewer. All things considered, the STAR approach was a useful instrument for clearly conveying my credentials. I was able to obtain important insights into my areas of strength and weakness as a potential teacher via reflective analysis and evaluation. I was competent in some areas, including subject matter knowledge and instructional delivery. When analysing the overall result of my interview I acknowledge I could have done better in some areas, such as expanding on my answers and talking about my extracurricular activities that I take part in such as Music and Football.

(6) S, Zac 2020

The Learning Experience

Participating in a simulated interview has offered me an invaluable experiential learning, preparing both my classmates and myself for real-life scenarios. As American author and motivational speaker Denis Waitley once remarked, “Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised.” (7) The simulated interviews allowed me to plan for the worst by anticipating challenging questions and scenarios, and be prepared to adapt and excel in unforeseen circumstances. Through these simulations, I believe that I have gained confidence, been able to refine my communication techniques, as well as identify areas for improvement. Moreover, as psychologist Albert Bandura noted, “Learning is more effective when it is an active rather than a passive process.” (8) Ultimately, the experience gained from participating in the simulated interviews has, I believe equipped me with the resilience and adaptability necessary to thrive in actual interview settings.

Conclusion

The simulated interview process was a great learning experience that helped me improve my knowledge of teaching and gain important understanding of what potential employers would like to see. I am sure that by applying the knowledge gained from this reflective analysis, I will be able to succeed as an English teacher and help my future students to reach their full potential. I am determined to be proactive in the future and address all areas that require improvement. I want to conduct further study on effective teaching techniques, participate in simulated teaching sessions, and get input from seasoned teachers. I’ll also give self-care activities like stress reduction and mindfulness a higher priority in order to reduce performance anxiety and boost my self-assurance under pressure. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the simulated interview experience!

(1) https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/job-interview-conversation_9650007.htm#query=job%20interview&position=0&from_view=keyword&track=ais&uuid=65931a47-80ee-41c8-9771-13b4b996a321

(2) https://www.ed.ac.uk/reflection/reflectors-toolkit/reflecting-on-experience/gibbs-reflective-cycle

(3) Jasper, M (2013). Beginning Reflective Practice. 2nd Ed. Melbourne & London: Cengage Learning

(4) “Mark Twain’s Autobiography: In Two Volumes,” published by Harper & Brothers Publishers in 1924.

(5)”Letter to My Daughter,” Random House (2008).

(6) Zac, (2020). The STAR Technique, Available at: https://careersblog.enterprise.co.uk/tips-on-using-the-star-technique-to-answer-job-interview-questions/ (Accessed 17th February 2024).

(7) “The Psychology of Winning: Ten Qualities of a Total Winner,” Berkley Books 1986.

(8) “Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory,” Prentice-Hall 1986.