Reflective Insights: Navigating Simulated Interviews

Introduction:

When I found out we had to partake in stimulated interviews I was quite anxious as ive never really had to-do a formal interview in person. Due to getting my first job at 15 I don’t think I have encountered a traditional sit-down interview.
This blog post will showcase my experiences during the simulated interview in a reflective writing manner using the Gibbs’ Reflective Model, showcasing my thoughts and feelings throughout the process.

[1]

The use of this structure allowed a structured approach for analysing what I was thinking and feeling during the interview process, in order allowing me to develop deeper knowledge about my experiences and highlight potential for further growth within the field of music therapy.

In the simulated interviews, which addressed music therapy scenarios, I adopted the primary phase of the Gibbs’ Reflective Model, Description, to carefully record the exact conditions of each interview. I defined the surroundings, the people that are involved, and my own part in the application of music therapy concepts, offering a thorough summary of the situations. 

During the second stage, titled “Feelings,” I examined the emotional dimension of the interviews. I recorded my initial nervousness and subsequent feelings as the process continued. I studied the impact of the various challenges and advantages faced in music therapy settings on my feelings and behaviours during the interviews. Being able to identify and comprehend my own thoughts and emotions was crucial to identifying successful ways to handle stress and increase confidence when using music therapy methods in future professional environments.

Moving to the third stage, Evaluation, I did an in-depth assessment of my abilities and interaction throughout the simulated interviews within the context of music therapy. I am aware of certain strengths in my practice, such as effectively communicating therapeutic goals through music. In addition, I have pointed out areas requiring improvement, such as the requirement to change interventions in order to suit the unique needs of my clients. This assessment technique allowed me to recognise my abilities in the field of music therapy, while also highlighting areas that required extra work to increase therapeutic efficacy.

During the fourth stage, Analysis, I did an in-depth assessment of the basic components that affected my experiences in the simulated interviews in the area of music therapy. I considered my knowledge of music therapy principles, my skills with carrying out interventions in different circumstances, and the way in which my personal beliefs and values influenced my approach to client care. The analysis provided helpful insights into the complicated nature of music therapy practice and informed my strategy for resolving similar problems in future therapeutic settings. 

In the fifth stage, Conclusion, I’ve been able to gain broad insights from my reflective research of the simulated interviews in the field of musical therapy. I recognise the value of ongoing education, introspection, and teamwork to improve the effectiveness of therapy outcomes for clients. The last part summarised the significant ideas acquired and acted as a stimulus for ongoing progress and advancement as a music therapy professional.

In general the use of the Gibbs’ Reflective Model allowed me to carefully analyse what I learned during the simulated interviews in the arena of music therapy. This approach helped me get a deeper understanding of my opinions, feelings, and behaviours in connection with therapeutic practice. With using of this analytic framework, I effectively identified areas in requiring growth and created methods for improving my performance as a music therapy practitioner.

When searching for an job I came across the challenge of not being able to get one local, they seem to be all over seas.
When reading about the skills and qualities expected of the applicants, I knew I had some more work to do. When it came to preparation, I created mind maps of possible questions I could be asked on the day, as well as key information about what was expected of me. 

From the age of 16 I have had my heart set on becoming a Music Therapist this is because I was to combine my love with music and assist individuals who face greater challenges than most. I have seen first handily how music therapy can have an impact on a life and this one of the main reasons why I want to peruse a career in music therapy.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/allied-health-professionals/roles-allied-health-professions/music-therapist

When I arrived, I was the only one from our group of five present. Throughout the entire car ride to interview, my mind was racing with thoughts of what to say, whether I was dressed appropriately, and overall, I just felt uncertain and anxious.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-job-interview-comics-nathan-w-pyle/

However once the other girls in my group appeared I began to feel less anxious an reassured myself that I could do this. 
On the note section on my phone is where I kept the interview questions fir the girls alosinge some of answers and questions that maybe helful for myself I used the star method to help guide me 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedium.com%2F%40nika.malkina01%2Fhow-to-show-your-professional-competences-on-the-interview-use-the-star-method-2e60cc4f7e00&psig=AOvVaw0AbUXFldu7pp_1ZNPfmRZT&ust=1709844307587000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBMQjRxqFwoTCIilnMbA4IQDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

The Interview Experience::
The classroom was transformed into a panel room, with classmates assuming the roles of interviewers, anticipation and nerves lingered in the air. The authenticity and professionalism displayed by my peers surprised me, instantly putting me at ease despite the underlying pressure to perform well.

We were part of a group of five students situated in a spacious classroom, surrounded by other groups engaged in similar activities. Each of us took turns interviewing one another, with the interviewee temporarily stepping out while the rest of us deliberated on the questions to ask. Following each interview, we provided feedback to the individual based on their performance. During the feedback session for my interview, I received positive remarks indicating that I sounded confident and well-prepared. The feedback also highlighted that my research and understanding of the job role were commendable, reflecting a strong grasp of the subject matter and clarity regarding my career aspirations. However I felt at times because I was still anxious I stumbled on my words and this caused moments of hesitation and difficulty in conveying my thoughts smoothly and clearly.

I felt that the feedback session following the interview was crucial. It provided valuable insights and constructive criticism from my peers. Their perspectives offered a fresh viewpoint on my performance, highlighting both strengths and areas needing improvement. This feedback helped me focus on specific areas for growth in future interviews. The supportive environment of the session fostered a conducive space for learning, allowing me to reflect on my performance and identify actionable steps for improvement. Overall, the feedback session was helpful in my professional development journey, equipping me with the tools and insights to that I think will help to refine my interview skills and succeed in future opportunities.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcreazilla.com%2Fnodes%2F7795633-job-interview-clipart&psig=AOvVaw1hDLOE609bku9eUUxiVsjO&ust=1709843145709000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBMQjRxqFwoTCPjZvJ284IQDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAR

Reflection

I Found that the practice interview has helped with the involvement for my journey on becoming a music therapist. It gave me a glimpse into the practical aspects of the position allowing me to apply theoretical knowledge to real-life scenarios. I feel like I have gained a deeper understanding of the skills and qualities required to excel in the field of music therapy, such as effective communication, empathy, and problem-solving abilities.

Also, the practice interview illustrates its importance of continuous learning and development as an individual. I am motivated to pursue opportunities for growth and gaining understanding, whether that is through more education, going to training sessions, or participating in hands-on learning. By allowing these possibilities, I will improve my skill and ability to take on a fulfilling profession in music therapy.

In addition the interview experience serves as an opportunity for boosting my confidence. It gives me direct experience in handling professional encounters and expressing my opinions effectively. The newfound confidence I have acquired helps me to take on future job interviews and professional pursuits with confidence and calmness. 

Additionally, the simulated interview provides a specific measure to accomplish my goal to work as a music therapist. It improves my passion for the profession and underlines my dedication to pursuing this career path. On examination of that event, I become aware of the deep significance of my desires and the unwavering dedication required for turning them into realities. 

In a nutshell, the process of the interview not only gives useful information about the field of music therapy but also enhances my motivation to succeed in this profession. It acts as an engine for both my professional and private growth, inspiring my confidence, skills, and commitment needed to begin a rewarding career. 

Conclusion:

Overall, the practice interview experience proved both humbling and effective, providing valuable insight into the challenges of applying music therapy principles in a realistic clinical environment. Although I was initially hesitant, the experience confirmed my enthusiasm for music therapy and bolstered my determination to pursue it as a profession. After overcoming various problems and finding possibilities for personal development during the interviews, I gained a greater sense of confidence and preparation for dealing with future challenges in the field of music therapy.

I express deep appreciation to my classmates and my professor for their continuous encouragement and backing throughout this process. Their constructive criticism and guidance have been highly helpful in shaping my awareness of music therapy work and developing my skills. on in the years to come, I am going to be motivated to embracing possibilities for improvement and learning, recognising that  no matter how challenging it may be it works as a landmark in achieving my goal of making an important impression on the lives of individuals through music therapy.

‘You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.’ – Albert Camus

References:

1. j4p4n. (n.d.). Job Interview Clipart. Creazilla. Retrieved from https://creazilla.com/nodes/7795633-job-interview-clipart
  2. Malikina, V. (2020). How to Show Your Professional Competences on the Interview: Use the STAR Method. Medium. Retrieved from https://medium.com/@nika.malkina01/how-to-show-your-professional-competences-on-the-interview-use-the-star-method-2e60cc4f7e00
  3. Loughran, D. (2018). Funny Job Interview Comics by Nathan W. Pyle. Bored Panda. Retrieved from https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-job-interview-comics-nathan-w-pyle/