Awkward Firsts, Promising Nexts.

Reflection of starting placement: The First Day at 3D Animation Studio – Humain.

by Allyshea Vanalli.

As I anxiously approached the building of my placement, I had realized that through the brief emails exchanged the past couple weeks with my employer, that there had been no mention of the 2 different passcodes required to enter the building and the 1 to enter the studio. In addition, I discovered that I had arrived earlier than the standard starting time when I was finally greeted by the first member of staff 30 minutes later. It was at that moment, I had learnt the importance of asking more questions about studio logistics once offered a job. The thought did not occur to me back then as I was more concerned with establishing admirable first impressions with one of the esteemed 3D studios in the UK, that represents the pinnacle of my professional ambitions.

Little did I know, on my first day, I thought the biggest challenge would be embarking on a quest to crack the studio passcodes and mastering the art of arriving fashionably early. Turns out, this was just a warm-up. 

After the minor hiccups, I had the opportunity to meet Ronan, a skilled 3D Modeler responsible for overseeing my training. He assisted in setting up the important tools and software essential to the company’s creative production on my laptop. After completing this task, I was granted access to the company’s documents and had begun the study process as a form of preparation before the first task. 

Reflecting on my first task as Junior 3D Modeler, I will use Borton’s model to explore the impact of my learning process in the ability of undertaking new tasks whilst also evaluating my practical application in overcoming challenges. Consisting of three focus points as Jasper (2003) claims “the model encompasses three simple questions to be asked of the experience or activity to be reflected on, What? So what? Now what?”.

Borton’s Reflective Model (Borton’s 1970, adapted by Driscoll 2007 & summarized in Jasper 2013)

What?

The ‘What’ refers to the first task assigned and an understanding of the creative role responsible for that task. 

What is a 3D Modeler and why is this role important?

The responsibilities of a 3D Modeler consists in the wrapping processes of the 3D modelling pipeline of the studio’s creative workflow. This is considered the first step of the production, therefore it is imperative that the process is carried out systematically and identical to protocol before passing it onto the next steps of rigging and animation departments.

It is important that I understand the meaning and responsibility of this role because it is relative to my assigned role within the work placement experience as a Junior 3D Modeler.

What was the first task?

My first task was to perform a Wrap 3D process on two of their test models called Billy Morgan and Alan Tanaka. These models are usually provided to new entries as practice subjects. Both models contain different features which are meant to expose new entrants with the perspective that the workflow of every project can contain the same contents and structures, however there can be different methods of approach in the finer details.

So What?

The ‘So What’ explores the application of my learning and professional practice once assigned a task and the evaluation of my approach when encountered with a series of challenges and why it is significant within the responsibilities of my creative role.

First Challenge:

Before undertaking the first task, I had been advised to browse through a 50+ page document called the Wrapping Bible. In the midst of reading through the intimidating documents, I also had to learn to navigate their documentation software called Notion, which I had never heard of before. However, from this quick learning I understood that it is necessary to grasp its functionalities as it is an industry standard documentation software. The information was dense and took about 4 hours to read through. By this point, my brain was overloaded.

From what I gathered through the readings, the company had utilized Notion to document their previous progresses and failures in the creative pipeline. It is a log-book document that is considered a work in progress as advancements made in software are ongoing and require constant learning. This document is also essential for the training of future employees. My mentor, Ronan, disclosed that it is essential that I know how to navigate it as it is mostly documented by 3D Modelers and can be passed down to future 3D modelers in training to further document their 3D trials and errors. 

Second Challenge:

Not long after, Ronan had to leave the office to work from home and the only way to communicate with him was through another software called Slack. This was another industry standard software I was not familiar with. Another software to juggle at that moment evoked more feelings of nervousness. I began to develop doubts of appearing underprepared. However I had to remind myself that this was just day one and all this new-found knowledge is not accessible as creative studios do not usually disclose what they use for production.

By the time the readings were complete, I felt overwhelmed but still eager to finally apply what I had read into practice. Ronan began his quick online introductory training of the Wrap3D software navigation where it was essential for me to take notes and familiarize myself with the main tools. After this, I was instructed to navigate the software myself and get comfortable with it.

Third Challenge:

The final hours of the first day consisted of finally beginning the task. As mentioned previously, the aim was to wrap the company’s standard utility texture model onto the first assigned 3D scan of Billy Morgan. The process was understandable and straightforward to pursue, however the challenges arose after the action wrapping combinations succeeded. 

I struggled with the intuitive and deep-thinking aspect of the wrapping pipeline. For example, once the utility texture is wrapped onto the scan, the scan develops the same colour blocks that define each facial part. The colour blocks, which need to be manually adjusted to be fitted onto the assigned model, are an essential step before passing it onto the next step of the production pipeline. I found myself confused with distinguishing the different facial features that each of the models had. While the utility texture is a great starting point for understanding the placement of the coloured blocks, it is not always applicable to other facial models because all human faces have unique features. 

Ronan reassured my worries by admitting that this particular section is the most complex and it is not expected of me to master this on the first day. This is simply a case of practice makes perfect and a requirement of further independent study of understanding the human facial anatomy. 

The Company’s Utility Texture.

Mallon, Ronan (2023) Wrapping Bible, Notion. Humain Limited.

3D models examples with unique features.

The Significance Of These Challenges

The challenges that arose helped me understand that in order to be a successful 3D Modeler, I would need to be comfortable facing continuous setbacks when working on tasks. Not only would I need to be versatile in picking up new software as quickly as possible, but also develop the ability to explore the software and problem-solve independently. I was occasionally reminded by Ronan that my never-ending questions were expected, in fact, the more questions, the better. This displays eagerness and curiosity in skill development, which are desirable traits the company seeks in a potential future candidate.

Now What?

Now I need to take upon reflection the actions necessary to apply onto future practice. 

I understood that in order to improve on the intuitive and critical-thinking skills required for this particular task of 3D wrapping, it is essential to undergo personal theoretical and practical research into the human facial and body anatomy. This newfound knowledge would not only assist in enhancing my approach in problem-solving but also develop acquired competencies in patience and independence when undertaking tasks. This would also lead to further knowledge in generic topology structures as well as adjusting the coloured blocks on the unique features of future 3D models.

An example of the type of research required to understand human facial anatomy features.

Upon the critical reflection of the challenges faced on my first day, I realized that adopting the ability to confidently overcome challenges would not only enhance more opportunities for growth in the job interviews and workplace training but also in the personal developments of my creative journey in aspiring to leave a mark in the 3D industry, as a successful 3D Artist. 

Done, J. (2016) Brilliant Graduate Career Handbook, Chester: Pearson Education UK.

MacMillan, K and Weyers, J. (2013) How to Improve your Critical Thinking & Reflective Skills, Harlow: Pearson Education UK.

Gregory, G., Healy, R., Mazierska, E. (2007) Careers in media and film: the essential guide. Los Angeles: Sage.