Announcing the Unknowing conference
Students undertaking PhD research into any aspect of religion or theology in relation to medieval studies are invited to submit paper proposals for an interdisciplinary doctoral conference to be held at Queenâ€™s University Belfast on May 22nd, 23rd and 24th 2009.
While the conference title â€œUnknowingâ€ may be taken as stimulus for papers, it is not intended as prescriptive – possible responses might include:
- Scholasticism and Philosophical Method
- Orthodoxy, Heterodoxy and Heresy
- Imagined Medievalisms in the History of Religion
- The Role of Patristic Theology in the Middle Ages and Beyond
- Traditions of Medieval Mysticism
- Postmodern Theology and Critical Thought
Unknowing will follow an adapted position-and-response format, wherein up to twenty-four successful papers will be included in a printed conference handbook to be circulated among all delegates in advance. At the conference, speakers will each present a ten-minute summary of their written paper before inviting responses.
Information about the submission of abstracts will be added shortly.